Trouble Connecting to the Internet on New Laptop

My husband bought me a laptop for my birthday. Problem: I can not get on the internet. When I bring it back to Staples, it works fine. When I try it anywhere else it doesn't. I have tried the library, but it won't go anywhere, but the library web site. I also tried other places (unsecured websites) it just won't come up. Unfortunately I can not get on secure websites because I don't know anyone who has one.

The tech at Staples says there is nothing wrong with my lap top, he has checked everything out. It still doesn't work after I left Staples. Does anyone have an idea as to what can be the problem? My husband is ready to bring the laptop back and get his money back, but unfortunately I have bought different attachments for it and I know I can not get my money back for them. Any help would be good.

By Rita from Osgoode, Ontario, Canada

Since it occurs in a lot of places, it has to be internal, my guess would be either some security program for the wireless connection or an antivirus program is "protecting" you. See if you can change the settings on the antivirus or if there is something that can adjust your wireless connection. If you have access to the internet on another computer go to the manufacturer's website and look for frequently asked questions, you are probably not the first one with this problem. Good luck.

I would just call the laptop manufacturer's tech support. I would bet you get at least 6 months free with a new purchase.

Sometimes I have that problem also, but it is because I have hit the internet ((!)) button on my laptop, which turns the internet on and off on my machine.

It could also be the air card or whatever it is called. The hubs had the same thing happen after he bought his would work in the town he bought it from (he works in the same town) but when he brought it home the internet would not work. He took it back and they gave him a new card and it worked fine then.

Most likely you have not had the laptop set up with your own preferred internet service? I could be wrong because I do not have a laptop, but from what I understand there needs to be a personal internet service connected to that laptop to be able to open it whenever you want it to and not need to depend on someone else's internet connection (like the library or Staples connection). For example, I have a desktop and use Charter for my service, but if I got a laptop I would have to additionally set up with Charter for that laptop separately from my desktop. As far as I am concerned the tech at Staples is not very well trained to not have told you that you might need your own personal internet service for the laptop:-(

I agree with Deeli. You need to set up a connection for your own internet service provider. If you're relying on using others internet service providers via your wireless connection, most people in your neighborhood probably have theirs password protected. I know I do.

Thanks for all the feed back. I went back to the store and they still said that there was nothing wrong with the laptop. I called in my internet provider and they sent out a tech. to connect with their own wireless router. In fact they changed my modem that has wireless in it. Tomorrow I am going back to the store and bringing the router I bought there and hope I can get my money back. I now can get unto the net at home.

Thank you for letting us know the outcome, Rita! If Staples gives you any problems about returning that modem (since they're the ones who suggested you needed it), I would pitch a fit with the manager. If they still don't take it back, call your credit card company if you purchased with a credit card, or bank if you used a debit card and ask for the charges to be removed and charged back to Staples! Glad you're up and running now. :-)

Computers TroubleshootingAugust 20, 2010
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
Black laptop on a white background.
Buying a Laptop