Making a Single Crochet Potholder

Even an novice crocheter who has just mastered the single crochet stitch can make a potholder. This is a guide about making a single crochet potholder.

August 17, 2009 Flag

If you can single crochet, you can make this heavy double thickness potholder.

Approximate Time: Two hours.

Instructions:

1. Chain 40 or whatever size you want your potholder. (This will be the size.)
  2. Single crochet on each side of the chain. Do not add stiches at the end of the row. You want it to start to "buckle" right away.
  3. Continue single crocheting around until the yarn meets. This will take awhile, so sit back and enjoy, but make sure not to add stitches.
  4. When the yarn meets you will be ready to close the potholder. I crochet it closed, but you can slip stitch and it will look exactly the same.
  5. Ad

6. Chain six (or whatever you would like) to form the loop. Inside the chain single crochet to give the loop strength.

This is a great way to use up scrap yarn and the potholders are very sturdy when going through the washer.

Since first posting this project, I found that in the last three rows, If you use a contrasting yarn, the potholder looks so much better. See top photo.

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I have been making these for a lot of years. It is my way of using leftover scraps of yarn. I save any piece of yarn scrap that is 10 inches or longer. I start with a piece of yarn and begin rollilng it into a ball. When I get another piece, I just tie it to the first piece with a knot. It doesn't matter what color or how long the piece is. Just keep tying pieces and rolling it into a ball. Then use this multicolored ball of yarn to make your potholders.When you come to a knot, just push it to the inside of your potholder. They will be "no two alike" and make great stocking stuffer gifts, or for gift exchanges with friends.

Harlean from Arkansas

August 12, 2009 Flag

This is a super easy pattern for a potholder that is easy enough for a beginner. It works up into a nice thick potholder that can be made larger for a table heat mat. This potholder is worked in the round so there is no increases or turning. It works up fast and easy so that even a child learning to crochet can accomplish this pattern. It would make a great Christmas present for a grandmother, Aunt or Mommy or anyone who bakes. This project is also a great portable project so when you are at your doctors or any where you have to wait you can work on it, it can slide right into a purse.

Time: About 2-3 hours

Materials:

• "I" crochet hook
  • Scrap yarn (I used worsted weight) Color of your choice

Instructions

Chain 40

Round 1 single crochet in each stitch across, now single crochet across the bottom of the row you just made. You now have an oval piece.

Round 2 until finished: Continue to single crochet in each stitch around. With each round that you do the ends will start to fold in. This is what you want. Continue until both ends meet in the center. Now on my last row I just pulled the two sides together and slip stitched the opening closed but you could cut the yarn at this point and whip stitch the potholder closed.

Loop for hanging: At one corner attach yarn and chain six. Attach to corner with a slipstitch. Turn and single crochet in each stitch across. Cut and weave in ends.

Final Note: I worked this up in a variegated blue yarn I had left over from another project and it worked up into a nice diagonal striped pattern.

By Debra Frick

Feedback:

Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

Sorry, but I think it's important to note that it's a REALLY bad idea to use acrylic yarn for potholders. Plastic MELTS, and I learned that the hard way. It is not fun to sit in the ER while the doctor pulls melted yarn out of your skin. (09/17/2008)

By mamamoonie

Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

I have been making these potholders for years. They are very simple. I have given a lot away for gifts. I usually change colors at different stages for the stipe effect. (09/18/2008)

By Arnie.

By daisylover

Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

I have used worsted weight yarn for many many years for potholders and have never had one melt yet. Burn yes, when my kids left it on the stove on a lit burner but I guess it could be a concern, I am so sorry to hear that you got hurt. (10/01/2008)

By Debra Frick

Craft Project: Single Crochet Potholder

I also have been making these for several years. I save all my scraps of yarn. Just wind your scraps into a big ball. I use any leftovers that are 6 inches or longer. Just tie the new piece onto the end on your ball, and continue to wind. I use mostly 4 ply, but in some cases I have scraps of sport yarn, and I just double it and tie it to my ball. I have made many "one of a kind colors" by this method. And as another reader mentioned, I have never had one actually melt, but if this is a worry to you, just use cotton yarn to make them. It comes in many pretty colors. (10/01/2008)

By Harlean from Arkansas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crocheted Pot Holder
Making Crocheted Potholders
Crafts Crochet PatternsJanuary 4, 2017
Making a Eyeglass Case from a Potholder
Making an Eyeglass Case from a Potholder
colorful crocheted coaster
Kitchen Crochet Trio (Magnet, Coasters, and Hotpads)
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
A cup of coffee in a white cup.
Making Single Serve Coffee Bags
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 4:20:11 PM on 10.0.0.127 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.