Plant Sprouted Garlic

Don't throw away garlic just because it is starting to sprout. Plant it in a pot for your kitchen window! I had a bulb that got forgotten about and several of the cloves were dried out, while some others were questionable. I separated the cloves and planted. This morning I woke to find several green shoots coming up.

Garlic will grow well in a sunny window inside, or when warm weather arrives it can be moved outside. I would recommend however, that you keep it in a container, as garlic can take over your yard.

You can do the same with horseradish root, but it will take a couple years to get to the point where you can keep the plant growing and also harvest some off for eating. Also, keep horseradish in a container as it will also take over the garden and yard. I like planting them inside a buried half barrel.

I have found it is generally less expensive to plant this way, then buying the root or starts at the nursery.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

I don't know anything about growning garlic, but I have a bunch my mom's cousin gave me this summer from her garden & I'd like to plant some of it. If I plant it in a container like you suggest, how many garlic bulbs can I plant is a small pot(how much distance apart do they need?) & how do I know when they are ready to pull? Thanks!

Plant it with other things. Garlic also helps scare off Greenfly and Blackfly. I was told it's something to do with secretions from the roots. I found it works well with roses but not so good with veg: but you've nothing to lose, you still have the Garlic.

Marg from England.

We do this with garlic, onions, and celery. I always have a few nice green shoots and leaves for the best scrambled eggs, or to go in soups. It's the easiest gardening there is, and almost as much fun.

Amazing what pleasure we can get from just little things like this.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Photos GardenFebruary 11, 2011
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
Pre-Sprouted Bulbs
Planting Pre-Sprouted Bulbs and Flowers
Ezekiel Bread
Ezekiel Bread Recipes
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath