Ceiling Smells Musty

I have a musty ceiling smell when I turn off the central air conditioning. It just smells awful. We can't get up into the "attic", there is only 2 feet of space from the ceiling to the roof.

I suspect it's leaking or something. It gets way worse when I turn on the central air conditioning or if I turn "up" the thermostat. It's a new roof. I can smell it in the rooms of the house, not just "up there". Would a dehumidifier help?

By Bella Swan from Miami, FL

If it's leaking, the leak must be discovered and repaired or redirected. Central A/C units usually have a condensation tube which directs the water into a drain. That may have been disturbed. Not sure what you mean by a musty ceiling smell but it sounds like you need a repairman. Good luck.

Could be mold. Hmmm.....I would try moth balls.

If you hired someone to put on that new roof it's time to call them AND call around for a second, third and fourth opinion of the cause. If it's because of bad workmanship and you can back that up with facts the company who caused the problem is responsible to repair. You might want to also test for mold 'just in case' because that is a major health hazard and spreads even in to dry areas :-( The roofing company is also responsible for that if it turns out to be because of their work.

cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 10, 2009
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Musty Shoes
Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan
🎉
🎄