Lengthen Jeans With Contrasting Fabric

Parents of small girls, don't throw away those jeans because they're a little short yet still fit everywhere else! I used spare fabric to make this top (just used one of her dresses for a pattern), and then sewed a cuff around the bottom of the pants to match.

The pants were getting short but still fit her in the waist. For the cuffs I cut a piece of elastic the size of the pant leg and then cut material double that so it would gather.

I sewed a casing for the elastic and hemmed the bottom. Then I basted it to the pant leg so that when she does outgrow this I can take it off and still sell or give away the pants. This is definitely a way to make those clothes last longer!

Source: Friend

By Tonya from Louisville, TN

Very good idea. Thanks for sharing.

How crafty. Love the model too!

What a cutie she is!And the outfit too! I did this years ago for my older daughter.I'm trying to figure out a way to lengthen my son's pants in a cool way so he won't be made fun of. He just turned 15 & is 6ft 1 1/2", he keeps getting taller but stays the same waist size for the last 3 years & I can't keep him in pants as fast as he grows!

That's adorable! Way to go! Maybe by summer if you need to alter them again. if the knees get worn out. Cut out the worn section & move the bottoms up to make shorts (?) So cute!

So cute, and an adorable model as well. Everyone needs a little doll to make "doll clothes" for. She looks like she's

enjoying it too.

Love your craftiness. Good job!

Lee

Seeing her picture just makes me giggle. I have several pants that are too short too. I am only 5'2" and think I can wear petites but then I look in a full length mirror and decided they are high waters. Wish it would be fashionable to do that for an adult! I will probably make shorts or capris from them.

When I first read this I thought nope don't like the idea and then I looked at the picture. These are adorable!! What a great way to extend the life of her jeans.

How adorable is your daughter?! I love the idea and as for doing a similar thing to adult pants. I'm tall, 5'11". (I refuse to say I'm 6'. I don't care what anyone says.) Anyway, I have a really hard time finding pants that fit, unless I buy pants in the men's section.

I bought some cute lace and used fabric glue to stick it on the bottom of some jeans. Very cute! I've done the same thing with several other pairs of pants. I just buy lace the width of the space I need to fill. I've used mostly black lace - but I do have a couple of "funky" pairs of artsy pants that I've used brightly colored lace (and on one pair I even used 2" ribbon). They've turned out really well and I've gotten lots of compliments on them.

On the pair of jeans I used the ribbon on, I also glued a thin strip of it to the tops of the back pockets so the look is tied together. Using beaded trim is another fantastic option, especially with all the awesome trims available. Using Fabri-Tac to attach the lace/ribbon/trim means you don't even have to lug out the sewing machine...although don't use too much, as Fabri-Tac tends to be stiff and "crunchy" once dry (if too much is used). Doesn't take much to attach it to the bottoms of pants - and is removable if you later change your mind.

Too bad this isn't chill for the boys...my son has sprouted to 6'7" in the last few months and rather than buying new jeans (literally) every month, I'd love to fix his pants like this! Don't think it would go over real well with the 14 year old boy crowd! ;)

Great idea and fabulous results. Thanks for sharing!

childrens pants
Lengthening Children's Clothing
Crafts Clothing AlterationsMarch 1, 2010
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Making a Jeans Apron
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
🎉
🎄