Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Crayon Out of Clothes That Have Been Washed

How do I remove crayon stain from clothes that have been washed?

Ritu

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Samantha03/30/2009

I tried the WD-40 and it did not work the blue shirt still has orange crayon on it! I tried scrubbing with a nail brush and that got some of the stain out! And it figures the shirt is one my daughter borrowed from a friend! HELP!

By (Guest Post)01/08/2009

<b>CRAYON REMOVAL</b>

<b>Fabrics:</b>

Place the article of clothing with your childs beautiful art work between paper towels.

Press it with a warm iron.

Repeat this process with a new paper towel.

Then clean with dry-cleaning solvent.

<b>Wallpaper:</b>

Put a commercial spot remover on the surface.

Let it dry.

Then simply brush the crayon off.

<b>Wood Furniture, Furniture Fabrics, Floors, Carpet:</b>

Spray on shaving cream.

Then wipe off your childrens handy work with a paper towel.
http://www.savetimeandmoneyathome.com/cleaning.html

By Sherry [36]01/07/2009

I just found this on a search.

How To Clean Crayon Stains From Clothes

Difficulty: Average

Time Required: 20 minutes

Here's How:
1. Place the stained clothes on a white cloth or a few white paper towels.

2. Spray WD-40 or apply a product such as Goo Gone onto the stain. Let this stand for a few minutes.

3. Turn the clothing over and apply WD-40 or Goo Gone to the other side of the stain; again, let this stand for a few minutes.

4. Take some dishwashing detergent and work this into the stain on both sides.

5. Wash in hot water with a detergent containing color-safe bleach, such as Cheer with Bleach. Or use a regular detergent and add color-safe bleach.

Wash & wear undershirts prevent underarm perspiration from showing.
jeez-ca.com
6. Check the clothing before drying to ensure that the crayon stain is gone. If not, then repeat washing.

Tips:
WD-40 can be found in most grocery, hardware, and auto parts stores.
Goo Gone can usually be found in the laundry section of your grocery store.
It might take several washings for all of the stain to come out of the clothes.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Crayon Out of Clothes That Have Been Washed

My son had a pocket full of crayons in his shorts and they were washed and dried and now there are crayon stains all over a complete load of laundry how do I get it out of the clothes and the dryer? Michelle from New Oxford, PA

RE: Getting Crayon Out of Clothes That Have Been Washed

Do the kerosene wash, pour some kerosene on the stain area and wash well or dip the clothes in washing soda, with the soap powder for one hour and wash it well and brush it. If it is a white cloth do some ala wash too. (09/28/2007)

By Anitha Kumaran

GOO GONE! Just follow the directions on the bottle. (09/28/2007)

By marie

What is goo gone and where can you buy it? Also what is washing soda and where can you buy it. (b)Editor's Note:(/b) Goo Gone can be found at most any hardware store, usually in the painting section. http://www.googone.com/products_gg.aspx Washing soda can be found in the laundry section. (10/06/2007)

By nicole

I washed and dried a load of clothes only to find crayon spots all over the load when I took them out of the dryer. I have tried the suggestion of laundry detergent, Shout, vinegar, and Oxyclean.

However I had to soak the clothes in the sink because I have an HE washer that showers the clothes. The clothes do not get to wash in the solution. Could this be the reason the solution is not working as well as others have experienced? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Wendy from Portsmouth, VA

Yes, GoJo or any waterless hand cleaner will get it out. Leave a glob of it on the stain (rub lightly), and leave it to soak overnight. It really works! My daughter left a red crayon in the white wash, it was an awful mess. But the GoJo really worked. Good luck. (01/22/2008)

By moicarol

Well, I am going through the same problem. I have washed and dried the crayons, it is a huge mess now. Not only do I have a mess of school clothes, I have a dryer that has melted crayon on it. Goo Gone I am using, but the clothes are spotted. Any more suggestions? (04/07/2008)

By Doreen

Has anyone removed dried, melted crayons from polyester polos? They are the ones with the breathable fabric. (07/15/2008)

By Elvia

My wonderful little munchkin left 4 or 5 crayons in his pockets and without checking the pockets, I washed and dried a whole load and now they're covered in colorful crayon. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please. (10/22/2008)

By Becky

I washed my grandson's jacket and when I took it out of the dryer I put my hand into the pocket, and there was a red crayon that melted. I was going to throw it out but I decided to look online. So what do I do to get the crayon and the stain out of the pocket? Is this jacket ruined? Thanks (12/05/2008)

By Kathy