BreadBaking

Fresh Baked Bread Had Plastic-Like Taste

I just baked some bread last night using yeast and it had a funny plastic-like aftertaste sprinkled throughout the loaf. What could be the cause? I kneaded it by hand and baked it in the oven.

By Christina from FL

I have no idea, never heard of this, good luck.

Your yeast is bad. Don't eat it.

Agree, it sounds like bad yeast--as another poster said, don't eat it ( or crumble it up for the birds, either).

If it was a batch you just bought, I'd really keep an eye on expiration dates on other items you pick up at that store, too. Shamefully, I've found that when I've gotten something out-of-date there's generally more where that came from scattered in other areas throughout the store. (Have even changed grocery stores because of just that!)