Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Baby Cries All Night

I have a 10.5 month old baby boy, who doesn't sleep through the night, not even close. My husband and I can't handle him crying. It's so sad. :( He is my 4th child and my husbands first child.

I know I screwed up in the begining not letting him fall asleep on his own, but my husband needed his sleep because his job is dangerous if he's tired. Xavier (the Baby) is nursing still at nap time and bed time and it seems like every hour some nights. I know there isn't much milk for that kind of nursing so he is using me for a big soother. He doesn't have a different soother.

I've been trying to up his solid food intake and lower his fluid intake. I would like to dicontinue nursing as he bites me often with those razor sharp teeth, I always give in though because he refuses to bottle feed and screams his lungs out when people are trying to sleep. Then I just want to cry for him.

This is our sleep routine. Any where from 7:30-10:00 pm he falls asleep, usually while I nurse him. I put him in his bed and go to my bed then he wakes up in 1-4 hours later. I get up take him to a bed in his room, nurse him. It is my plan to leave him when he falls asleep but I'm sleeping long before he is. Then he wakes up more times then I can count and I'm rolling over from one side to the other nursing him ALL NIGHT.

I have tried getting up with him and nursing him in the living room and then putting him back in his bed but he wakes up over and over again. It takes me up to 2 hours to get him back to his bed just to have him wake up an hour later. I have been advised to let him scream it out, I have tried that during his afternoon nap but the poor little guy will cry and cry sitting in his bed start to fall over and jerk himself up. I've left him for 30 minutes or I'll go in every few minutes, lay him down, kiss him but it just doesn't work and it rips my heart out. So I'll pick him up and he falls asleep right away but I can't put him down at all for his whole nap because now he doesn't want to be let go of.

If someone has any ideas to help me fix this mess, please write. Thank so much for taking time from your busy days to help me.

Brenda from Canada

By Erin H.02/19/2013

White noise definitely helps but oh my goodness not a hair dryer you'll burn your house down! Maybe try a more nipple shaped pacifier. This is not the best idea but lay him down with a bottle if he can hold it on his own. Then just do that less and less he won't starve overnight and ear plugs.

By busymommy04/06/2011

Have you tried a white noise like a box fan or hair dryer. The constant sound really helped our baby sleep longer. When she wakes up too soon, the sound lulls her back to sleep. Worked like a dream for us. We since have bought a sound machine with ocean waves. My Friend recommended a little portable sound machine she found online at sleepybees.com that attaches to the car seat or stroller, Sleepy Bee. Now naps away from home are so much easier.