Dog Chews When Left Alone

Why is my dog chewing up everything when left home?

By Djsam from Azusa, CA

It's a dog anxiety some pets go through when left alone. Put the dog into a confined area; a large cage or in a room and give it lots of things that can be chewed on. Turning on the radio or tv while away might help a little as there will be voices around. We play a "classical music" station on the radio for our dogs as it has a calmimg/relaxing effect. My daughter noticed this change in them after we left the house and she saw how they reacted to the soothing music. My husband plays it for the dogs when I leave the house and he noticed they become relaxed enough to to go sleep for awhile. This just might be a short term effect that won't last for an 8 hr. work shift, but when you leave for grocery shopping, church, etc., it has proved helpful.

Anonymous

It definitely sounds like separation anxiety. Here are a couple of links with great ideas to try:

http://www.wagn … eparationAnx.htm

http://www.metp … iety_in_dogs.htm

Putting a dog with separation anxiety in a confined place such as a kennel is not recommended.

I agree it is separation anxiety. I am no expert on this situation, but having had many dogs, I know that they need regular exercise several times a day, they love a schedule so they know what to expect and when to expect it. If they have a good schedule, usually you can spend some few hours away from home and not have so much anxiety. But check with your vet. Good luck.