Odor in New Balance Suede Tennis Shoes

I can not get the odor out of my son's New Balance suede tennis shoes. The bottom of the inside of the shoes have a flannel feeling fabric. I have:

1. Sprayed with Kiwi Fresh Force shoe freshener
2. Washed with baking soda, vinegar, detergent, spray and wash, etc.
3. Left outside for days to air out. Even the animals don't want to run off with them....lol

None of his other shoes smell like this. He marched in these at band camp and I suppose he sweat excessively in them. The just have a really rank odor that resembles the odor that happened one time when the towel underneath the dog's water bowl didn't get replaced when I was flat on my back from an injury. The guys let it go and it got full of mold or mildew underneath. Ew...gross. Anyway, the towel washed fine. But I sure can't get these shoes to stop stinking. They sure are clean though!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stacie

Answers

Best Answer

I've had the same problem with every pair of 991s and 992s that I've bought. They get old, they get wet, then they smell like urine. Despite what some of the older replies say, it's a problem with the shoes made by New Balance. It is NOT mold/mildew or such. It's a "chemical" in the deteriorating heel material that is smelling. Don't waste your time trying to clean them. Fortunately it is usually handled by NB as: "Bring 'em back and we'll replace 'em." And extra fortunate for me: I buy them at Nordstrom = easy return.

Picture of a man holding up stinky shoes.
Remedies for Stinky Shoes
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 30, 2005
Old Tennis Shoes
Uses for Old Tennis Shoes
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
🎉
🎄