Use Saran Wrap As An Emergency Bandage

Recently while visiting my sister, her daughter showed up in the middle of the night with her beloved Honey, a beautiful Pit Bull Boxer mix. She was named Honey because she was the color of honey. A hunter had mistaken her for a deer, we can only assume. She was shot in the hindquarters with a large portion of her hip missing. The girl didn't know what to do and no one was open for a few hours yet.

The wound was fairly clean and I thought best not to disturb the tissue until a vet could see her. I took a roll of Saran Wrap and wrapped her entire lower body, to keep it clean and prevent the tissue from being damaged any further. We got her to the vet as soon as they opened and with surgery they were able to save the leg.

The vet said the Saran Wrap was the best thing we could have done. Thought this would be useful to others in an emergency.

I hope by now that Honey is recuperating. It was a good thing that you were thinking straight.

Thank you! Having two dogs and a cat and parrot, that excellent emergency tactic will be remembered here.

Wow, your story gave me goosebumps! How lucky that you were able to think of the saran wrap!

I think this is a fantastic tip, not just for animals either & it sure gets my vote!! I may be putting a roll of saran wrap in my vehicles now-wonder if you can cut it in half?

I used to be in a volunteer rescue org. & this would have been a very useful tip/item to use in our 1st aid kits. My family is in Boy Scouts & I am certainly going to mention it to them.

THANKS!

BTW-you should enter this into the regular tips!

In NZ I was advised to do this for someone with bad burns, after you've had it under running water, as "cling wrap" (Saran Wrap) only sticks to itself not the skin.

Are there no emergency vet clinics in your area? We have a couple a few miles away that are open 24/7. Our dog recently had surgery on his hind knee for a torn ACL and the clinic recommended using the "Press and Seal" brand of Glad Wrap on his leg while he had a half-cast wrapped with an Ace Bandage when we took him outside in the snow for potty breaks. It worked very well. We put a sturdy bag made from an IV bag on the foot, then wrapped the Press 'n Seal around the top of the bag and leg, it stayed put until we got back inside. Glad your "Honey" is recovering. Sad to think someone would shoot her. Humans can be awful sometimes.

Thank you for this tip!

Roll of Plastic Wrap
Uses for Plastic Wrap
Pets HealthAugust 22, 2008
Emergency Reflector
Make Your Own Emergency Reflectors
Prepare your home for an emergency.
Preparing For Emergency Situations
Roll of Plastic Wrap
Use Winterizing Plastic As Shrink Wrap
Sandwich Wrap
Sandwich Wrap Recipes
🎄