Cleaning Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Foundation makeup stains can be a challenge to remove from clothing. This is a guide about cleaning foundation makeup stains on clothing.

I have a foundation makeup stain on my beige linen blend pants. Can someone help me please?

By Wendy from Perth, WA

Best Answer

Are the pants washable? If so mix one part water, one part clear amnomia, and dish det. (reg dish det.) pour into a spray bottle. Then shake it up and spray on the spot that you want cleaned. And just wash the pants. The spot should come out.

Best Answer

I bought a dress that had foundation on the white collar. The foundation type was unknown to me as the shop had gave the dress to me at a discounted price. As I couldn't afford to send the dress to the dry cleaners I used Gilette Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream on the stains. After scrubbing away at the stains for about 5 minutes they became unnoticeable. I put the dress in the washing machine and the stains are gone there is no evidence there was foundation on the dress.

Best Answer

DISASTER!! I unpacked my suitcase and my foundation was everywhere in my make-up bag. On cleaning it out I got brown foundation over my cream linen trousers. I tried every propriety cleaner to clean it off but without success and I was prepared to throw them away but as I last resort I turned to Google.

Shaving cream as an answer seemed crazy but I had nothing to lose and - nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I followed the instructions and my trousers are like new!!

Dawn dish soap always works for me.

The best thing to do is use a dry cleaner. I got some make up on a new shirt of mine. I took it to a dry cleaner and it came back looking new again. It's better to use a dry cleaner especially if you are unsure how to remove it. Just never dry the spot otherwise it might set and not come out.

Sally Hansen airbrush leg make up apparently is worse than regular make up cause shaving cream did nothing

Anonymous

My 18 year old daughter thought the world had ended when she got foundation makeup on her new top an hour before she was due to walk out the door. I, Mum, not being in the best of moods cos she woke me up to disclose this drama, hit the marks with Spray & Wipe and rinsed it off as I couldn't be bothered with anything else. Worked a treat ... and has a lovely fragrance, lol.

Anonymous

OMG never in the world would I have ever thought of shaving cream. Just reading thru posts as I was fuming that my long-wear foundation just squirted on the front of my new North Face sweatshirt. I had already tried Dawn, makeup remover & washed after applying some detergent directly on stain...and nothing, barely faded. So I jumped up, grabbed my husbands shaving cream (gel) squirted on stain, & rubbed in for a few minutes w/scrub brush. I cannot even find stain myself. Thanks for saving my night (& my new sweatshirt)

I accidently spilled some BB cream (foundation) onto an expensive pair of jeans. I put it in the wash as soon as possible, but when I took it out, the area of the stain had turned white. I don't know if that means the color came off, but I would like to know if someone has any experience with this.

I hope you didn't put them in the dryer. You can dab at the stain with ammonia, rinse out the ammonia, and wash again.

There are several ways to remove make-up stains  one may work for you.

A lot depends on whether you put your jeans in the dryer  one may still work but dried stains are generally set and more difficult to remove.

I keep a container of shaving cream in my laundry room for just such mishaps.

Maybe you have a can available  spray cream on the spot and wait a few minutes (10-15).

Carefully wipe the shaving cream off the spot (try not to smear it) and wash as usual  cold water may be best. You can also mix a touch of alcohol to the spot if shaving cream alone fails.

If that fails; mix one part ammonia and one part dish detergent (Dawn is good) mix it up and dab (or spray) it on the spot  wait 10 minutes  wash as usual.

If you do not have ammonia you can substitute peroxide and that works well also.

I do not believe that any of these methods will harm your jeans but if these are  like you say  very expensive  you may want to take them to a dry cleaners and be sure to explain what happened.

Good luck - hope something works.

How do I get liquid foundation out of my satin prom dress?

By Mone

Best Answer

Take it to a dry cleaner, tell them what the stain is and they will be able to get it out without harming the dress. In the long run it will be better than trying to do it at home and maybe ruining your lovely dress.

I accidentally dropped a glass bottle of liquid foundation makeup, the bottle broke and makeup splattered on my pants in various areas. The color is beige and fabric is cotton. How can I remove these stains?

Pearl from Florida

Answers:

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Thanks, jokestersn, for the shaving cream advice (now almost two and a half years ago!). This morning I was agonizing over my many work blouses that have gotten just a drip of foundation on them....most DIY advice suggests dry cleaning solvent or bleach, and could do significant damage to the fabric. Shaving cream works like a charm. I am delighted! (06/04/2007)

By Ainsley

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

I spilled a large amount of liquid foundation on a pair of white cotton pants. I thought I would have to throw them out. A friend suggested I use peroxide mixed with liquid detergent. I did and not a mark remains. I just soaked a corner of a washcloth in peroxide and dipped it into a little liquid detergent and rubbed the spot. It took only moments to remove it. (08/14/2007)

By Penny Newman

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

I used a product called "Oops", which got a foundation stain/spill out of a formal dress. (03/15/2008)

By Steph

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

I've found that if you apply rubbing alcohol and bleach heavily to the spot and scrub with a toothbrush, then rinse with cold water, the spot is bound to disappear. Works best on light or white colored clothes (05/13/2008)

By Tonya

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

The newer stain removers will take out makeup stains - I use shout wipes to carry around - and then treat again before you wash. It may take several applications. (07/03/2008)

By pamphyila

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Whoever thought of the shaving cream is genius! :) (07/03/2008)

By elze

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

I used Dawn Complete dishwashing detergent and scrubbed it directly on the liquid foundation spots on my white cotton pant with a toothbrush. The dishwashing detergent worked much, much better than bleach. Bleach did not help at all. (07/12/2008)

By Elaine

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Really whoever thought of the shaving cream and rubbing alcohol idea is genius. I had a liquid foundation stain that was already dry and it came off with the shaving cream and alcohol. It needed some work though, had to press scrub it pretty hard, and had to use my thumbs, but nothing else would take that stain off at all. (08/11/2008)

By lilyyy

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Use vinegar, it works on everything. Good luck. (08/27/2008)

By sam

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

(submitted via email)

Someone said to use shaving cream and alcohol. I had a big liquid foundation stain on my favorite white cotton shorts, bleaching them didn't even work so I tried the shaving cream idea. Just work in with fingers then use tooth brush to really work it out. It took a few minutes, I was amazed! Try it.

Danielle (11/12/2008)

By jess

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

I had gotten dark liquid foundation on my brother's white t-shirt that he had lent me for the day - I didn't want to buy him a new one, so I tried shaving cream and was amazed! It worked really well, I just wet the stain and worked it in with a toothbrush, then put Vanish Pre-Wash stick on it for the last faint marks and that also worked a treat! Try it. (11/15/2008)

By May

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Shaving cream is amazing. Try it! (11/20/2008)

By stephanie

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Thanks very much for the shaving cream idea for removing foundation. I got foundation on my friend's white shirt she let me borrow and I washed it 100 times seems like, and treated and used alcohol nothing worked. Saw the idea about shaving cream and I was totally impressed. Thanks so much! (12/03/2008)

By ROBYN

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Totally fantastic. Love the shaving cream advice. Worked a wonder. Thank so much! (12/03/2008)

By Kate

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

My friend and I were mucking about with foundation at a sleepover and my friend noticed I had a big lob of liquid foundation on my new pajamas. I knew I had to do something so we checked the yahoo website and found out that shampoo was great and so was shaving foam/cream. So we used the shampoo on one part and shaving foam on another and they both worked like a charm. Hairspray does not work so we advise you not to even bother. It worked better dry, but if you want to wet it use cold water only. (01/31/2009)

By Jemma

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Fantastic! I was about to throw away a shirt after endless products. Read this article about shaving foam and felt nothing to loose. It worked a treat. Have to say I used a scoring pad too but it was definitely the shaving foam that got the stain out. (02/24/2009)

By Sam

I have a liquid foundation stain on a white cotton jumper and have had no luck in getting it out! Bleaching was unsuccessful so I'm hoping someone has a miracle solution as this is a favourite jumper.

Susan from Sydney

Answers:

Liquid Foundation On White Cotton Jumper

Makeup on Collars or Clothes: Apply a small amount of shaving cream to the stain (figure B) and work in using your thumbs. If this doesn't remove the entire stain, add rubbing alcohol to the mix and let it set on the area. Make sure the stain is completely removed before putting the garment into the washer. (found on www.diynetwork.com - Queen of Clean) (01/18/2005)

By jokestersn

Not sure about on white, but my granddaughter once dumped an entire bottle of foundation on my living room chair, which is apolstered in a chenille type fabric. I used an automotive apolstery cleaner figuring it had a degreaser in it. It took a while because it was so much, but did take it out. Just a thought. (01/19/2005)

By Tina Q.

I would try Dawn Dish Detergent. This works well on oil type stains. Just apply to the area, rub lightly and launder as usual. May have to do this more than once. (01/19/2005)

By Ann4

I know this sounds ridiculous, but spray the spot with oven cleaner (in a well-ventilated room), wait ten minutes and then launder. You may need to do it more than once but don't leave the oven cleaner on too long. Restaurant chefs use this to get stains out of their white jackets. (01/19/2005)

By Linda