Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

I have a foundation makeup stain on my beige linen blend pants. Can someone help me please?

By Wendy from Perth, WA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Catherine T.05/05/2014

I bought a dress that had foundation on the white collar. The foundation type was unknown to me as the shop had gave the dress to me at a discounted price. As I couldn't afford to send the dress to the dry cleaners I used Gilette Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream on the stains. After scrubbing away at the stains for about 5 minutes they became unnoticeable. I put the dress in the washing machine and the stains are gone there is no evidence there was foundation on the dress.

By JennyLee03/06/2012

The best thing to do is use a dry cleaner. I got some make up on a new shirt of mine. I took it to a dry cleaner and it came back looking new again. It's better to use a dry cleaner especially if you are unsure how to remove it. Just never dry the spot otherwise it might set and not come out.

By bkvander [2]10/20/2010

Dawn dish soap always works for me.

By Lynda [47]10/20/2010

Are the pants washable? If so mix one part water, one part clear amnomia, and dish det. (reg dish det.) pour into a spray bottle. Then shake it up and spray on the spot that you want cleaned. And just wash the pants. The spot should come out.

Here are questions related to Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing.

Question: Removing Pan Stick Foundation Makeup from Cotton

How can I remove Pan Stick foundation from 100% catone cotton?

By b b

Question: Cleaning Liquid Foundation Makeup Out of Satin Dress

How do I get liquid foundation out of my satin prom dress?

By Mone

Most Recent Answer

By Lee Anne G.05/10/2011

Take it to a dry cleaner, tell them what the stain is and they will be able to get it out without harming the dress. In the long run it will be better than trying to do it at home and maybe ruining your lovely dress.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Liquid Foundation On White Cotton Jumper

I have a liquid foundation stain on a white cotton jumper and have had no luck in getting it out! Bleaching was unsuccessful so I'm hoping someone has a miracle solution as this is a favourite jumper.

Susan from Sydney

RE: Liquid Foundation On White Cotton Jumper

Makeup on Collars or Clothes: Apply a small amount of shaving cream to the stain (figure B) and work in using your thumbs. If this doesn't remove the entire stain, add rubbing alcohol to the mix and let it set on the area. Make sure the stain is completely removed before putting the garment into the washer. (found on www.diynetwork.com - Queen of Clean) (01/18/2005)

By jokestersn

Not sure about on white, but my granddaughter once dumped an entire bottle of foundation on my living room chair, which is apolstered in a chenille type fabric. I used an automotive apolstery cleaner figuring it had a degreaser in it. It took a while because it was so much, but did take it out. Just a thought. (01/19/2005)

By Tina Q.

I would try Dawn Dish Detergent. This works well on oil type stains. Just apply to the area, rub lightly and launder as usual. May have to do this more than once. (01/19/2005)

By Ann4

I know this sounds ridiculous, but spray the spot with oven cleaner (in a well-ventilated room), wait ten minutes and then launder. You may need to do it more than once but don't leave the oven cleaner on too long. Restaurant chefs use this to get stains out of their white jackets. (01/19/2005)

By Linda

Archive: Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

I accidentally dropped a glass bottle of liquid foundation makeup, the bottle broke and makeup splattered on my pants in various areas. The color is beige and fabric is cotton. How can I remove these stains?

Pearl from Florida

RE: Foundation Makeup Stains on Clothing

Thanks, jokestersn, for the shaving cream advice (now almost two and a half years ago!). This morning I was agonizing over my many work blouses that have gotten just a drip of foundation on them....most DIY advice suggests dry cleaning solvent or bleach, and could do significant damage to the fabric. Shaving cream works like a charm. I am delighted! (06/04/2007)

By Ainsley

I spilled a large amount of liquid foundation on a pair of white cotton pants. I thought I would have to throw them out. A friend suggested I use peroxide mixed with liquid detergent. I did and not a mark remains. I just soaked a corner of a washcloth in peroxide and dipped it into a little liquid detergent and rubbed the spot. It took only moments to remove it. (08/14/2007)

By Penny Newman

I used a product called "Oops", which got a foundation stain/spill out of a formal dress. (03/15/2008)

By Steph

I've found that if you apply rubbing alcohol and bleach heavily to the spot and scrub with a toothbrush, then rinse with cold water, the spot is bound to disappear. Works best on light or white colored clothes (05/13/2008)

By Tonya

The newer stain removers will take out makeup stains - I use shout wipes to carry around - and then treat again before you wash. It may take several applications. (07/03/2008)

By pamphyila

Whoever thought of the shaving cream is genius! :) (07/03/2008)

By elze

I used Dawn Complete dishwashing detergent and scrubbed it directly on the liquid foundation spots on my white cotton pant with a toothbrush. The dishwashing detergent worked much, much better than bleach. Bleach did not help at all. (07/12/2008)

By Elaine

Really whoever thought of the shaving cream and rubbing alcohol idea is genius. I had a liquid foundation stain that was already dry and it came off with the shaving cream and alcohol. It needed some work though, had to press scrub it pretty hard, and had to use my thumbs, but nothing else would take that stain off at all. (08/11/2008)

By lilyyy

Use vinegar, it works on everything. Good luck. (08/27/2008)

By sam

(submitted via email)

Someone said to use shaving cream and alcohol. I had a big liquid foundation stain on my favorite white cotton shorts, bleaching them didn't even work so I tried the shaving cream idea. Just work in with fingers then use tooth brush to really work it out. It took a few minutes, I was amazed! Try it.

Danielle (11/12/2008)

By jess

I had gotten dark liquid foundation on my brother's white t-shirt that he had lent me for the day - I didn't want to buy him a new one, so I tried shaving cream and was amazed! It worked really well, I just wet the stain and worked it in with a toothbrush, then put Vanish Pre-Wash stick on it for the last faint marks and that also worked a treat! Try it. (11/15/2008)

By May

Shaving cream is amazing. Try it! (11/20/2008)

By stephanie

Thanks very much for the shaving cream idea for removing foundation. I got foundation on my friend's white shirt she let me borrow and I washed it 100 times seems like, and treated and used alcohol nothing worked. Saw the idea about shaving cream and I was totally impressed. Thanks so much! (12/03/2008)

By ROBYN

Totally fantastic. Love the shaving cream advice. Worked a wonder. Thank so much! (12/03/2008)

By Kate

My friend and I were mucking about with foundation at a sleepover and my friend noticed I had a big lob of liquid foundation on my new pajamas. I knew I had to do something so we checked the yahoo website and found out that shampoo was great and so was shaving foam/cream. So we used the shampoo on one part and shaving foam on another and they both worked like a charm. Hairspray does not work so we advise you not to even bother. It worked better dry, but if you want to wet it use cold water only. (01/31/2009)

By Jemma

Fantastic! I was about to throw away a shirt after endless products. Read this article about shaving foam and felt nothing to loose. It worked a treat. Have to say I used a scoring pad too but it was definitely the shaving foam that got the stain out. (02/24/2009)

By Sam