Moth Ball Odor in Washing Machine

By roseanna 1

I washed clothes that had been stored in mothballs and now my washer smells like them. How do I get that smell out? I have tried lots of stuff without success. Nothing is working.

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 Flag

Spray a rag with pan coating oil. Wash it in your washer, because you need the oil to collect the mothball substance. You could even wipe the insides of the washer with oil first. Be sure to use enough detergent to get the one inch of suds after two minutes of agitating.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Moth Ball Odor in Washing Machine

How can I get mothball odor out of my washing machine PERMANENTLY? I have done a wash of ammonia and water and that worked for one load but now it is back to smelling and it ruins all clothes that are washed.

Background: I was given a lot of clothing which smelt VERY strongly of mothballs after reading posts on this site I washed them in vinegar and baking soda, used freshener sheets and febreeze only to find that the best solution was BRIGHT SUNSHINE FOR DAYS and washing in ammonia! Items that were cotton however still smell strongly. Now my dilemma is how to get the smell out of my washing machine as it has taken on the mothball odor and is passing it on to all my other clothing! HELP!

Stephanie

Answers:

RE: Moth Ball Odor in Washing Machine

Try spraying the inside of your machine with vinegar straight from the bottle. If that doesn't work, try mixing a cup of vinegar with the least amount of water and take through the rinse cycle and see if that eliminates the moth ball smell. (08/11/2004)

By toni k.

Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundrySeptember 17, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:45:17 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings