Seizures in Dogs?

My mini-Dachshund has had seizures for 8 years. The vet gave her 5mg. Valium and 16.2 phenobarbital. They say this happens mostly to full-bred dogs. I give her 1mg. Klonopin of my own and the phenobarbital only as she has the seizures. Is this OK for my dog?

By Becky from Mobile, AL

Becky, this is a question you should be asking her vet. They can refer back to her chart and give you the best advice. Best of luck. I hope she's feeling better soon!

Why did you go to a vet if you are not going to follow their directions? If you question their diagnosis get a second opinion. We have a foster dog that gets pheno every night due to seizures and he hasn't had one in the year we have been taking care of him.

No this is not okay, this is very irresponsible of you. The point of the medication is to treat an illness (or affliction), not to give them as 'needed'. If you kept her on a regiment, her seizures might actually stop altogether.

Hello,

Absolutely not! This could kill your baby! Use the medications your Vet has prescribed.

No this is not ok. Very much not ok. Follow the doctors orders and if there are problems, go back to see the doctor.

I have never heard of Klonipin being used in dogs, but I know it can cause serious problems if you stop it without tapering off on the dose. You need to let your Vet know what is going on so he can get the dog back on a safe and effective regimen.

While I would agree with some of the posts that checking with your veterinarian would be the best option there are documented doses in Plumbs veterinary drug formulary of giving the Klonopin to dogs at 0.5mg/kg every 8-12hrs. Usually this is in conjunction with Phenobarbital. So, I think some of the posts were un-knowledgeable and harsh as this is a medication that can be used in both dogs and cats at the correct doses