Reversible Denim Baby Bib

This is a reversible baby bib, made using worn denim blue jeans and cotton fabric.

Approximate Time: 1 day

• old denim blue jeans
  • cotton fabric for backing
  • sewing machine
  • sewing thread
  • sewing needle
  • scissors
  • Velcro
  • steam iron
  • fishing line or invisible thread

Instructions:

1. Create a bib in the shape desired. Cut one piece of denim from this pattern, and one piece of cotton for the reverse side. For my design on the front of the bib, I used the neck hole piece cut from when I cut the bib from the pattern fabric.
  2. Press fabrics and sew right sides of fabric together, leaving a small 3 inch opening at the bottom to turn. Turn and press.
  3. Use fishing line or invisible thread to sew the opening closed, being careful to turn the edges under to conceal them.
  4. If you are including an applique, this should be done before sewing the bib pieces together. I deliberately used a regular stitch, to cause the applique to fray with each wash.
  5. After the front is stitched closed, topstitch the bib all around the edges and sew a small piece of Velcro on each side of the top closure. Fold the Velcro over the top when sewing and sew down each side to insure the bib is reversible.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

These are just adorable ... asides from being a great "Green" project. I think babies look absolutely sweet wearing anything denim. Such a great looking bib you've put together. Congrats!

I have to say though...there are those that must be told; *Do not reverse and reuse if one side is heavily soiled; wash between wearings. You'll just mess-up the child's clothes.

There. Nuff said. Sad but true.

Baby with a homemade bib on.
Making a Baby Bib
Crafts Baby ItemsJuly 21, 2010
custom bleached denim with an intricate design
Bleaching Denim
The back pocket of blue jeans.
Softening Stiff Denim
Denim Wallet
Making a Denim Wallet
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
🎉
🎄