Reshaping Old Glasses

Glasses, reading glasses, sun glasses - I have lots and something always goes wrong with one of them. Of course, you can replace the screws (I save old broken glasses for the screws), but you can also reshape them gently.

I look at how they are out of alignment and then gently push them back into shape (easier if they have metal in the wings of the glasses). Real Simple magazine suggests softening them in hot water or by heating with a hair dryer first. That would be good for the really bad cases.

By pamphyila from LA, CA

That's a wonderful idea, I was always looking for screws for mine. What I do with my old glasses is take them to the optometrist and they send them to the Third World Countries. I just brought in a few pairs as my husband passed recently and he had about 3 pair and I had a couple of old pairs. They were very grateful to get them. I didn't know about this until I was buying a new pair and I noticed someone bringing a pair in so I inquired so that's where my glasses go now.

When I was wearing glasses, there were many times the optometry workers adjusted them wrong. Either the glasses were too tight at the temples - thus aggravating an existing tendency to migraines - or they'd fall off my face if I moved wrong. Out of sheer desperation, I learned how to gently "encourage" the plastic frames into a more comfortable position. I didn't even warm them or anything. I just very carefully and gently bent them. Maybe the pressure or the way I stroked them between my fingers created some warmth. I wore glasses from the age of 12 to 40 and never broke a pair.

I actually re-use my old frames! Lenses can be ground slight to fit the new shape of the other frames. They warn you about the frames shattering - but I have only had one pair do that in all the years I have re-used my frames.

When I get new glasses that are a different prescription, there is a box that accepts the old ones as donations to a charity. I think the Lion's Club sponsors this. The box is at the common stores like Pearl Vision. Please consider this option with old ones!

broken eyeglasses
Repairing Eyeglasses
Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesMarch 30, 2011
Remembering Your Glasses
Remembering Your Glasses
Two Wine Glasses
Crafts Using Wine Glasses
Uses for Old Reading Glasses
Uses for Old Reading Glasses
Insulated Drinking Glass
Using Insulated Drinking Glasses
🎉
🎄