Lift Off the Fat from Soups and Stews

You sage cooks out there already know this. But, we all had to start from scratch when learning to cook, so this tip is for the "newbies"!

When cooking stews, soups and such, getting the fat out is just as easy as 1 and 2 and 3

1. When the pot is out of the oven or slow cooker, make sure it's good and hot.
  2. Ad

3. Seal cellophane (I was out so I used a clear plastic bag but cellophane works best) around the top of the liquid (it actually has to touch) then around the top edge of the container. No air can escape or it won't work. Sometimes for a good seal, invert the lid and press down inside. You can even leave it on there if it helps to seal it well.
  4. Put in the fridge to cool.

When your food has cooled, simply lift off the top and all that congealed fat will come up with the plastic. It's basic chemistry, but it works every single time. Throw the cellophane away and enjoy the food with virtually no fat left in it!

By Sandi from Salem, OR

I do not know if I'd call myself a newbie (I'm 46). I never knew that. Thank you for the tip!

That is a fantastic tip. I can't wait to try it! Thank you.

Newbies or sage cooks alike can always learn something new! Hey, I was 25 before I realized that radishes didn't grow in bunches! Yep, I never bothered to "unbunch" them, so I didn't know they had rubber bands! I love to cook but I can't grow anything but mold!

You are both very welcome!

Cooking Soup in Dutch Oven
Cooking Soups And Stews
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJuly 31, 2011
homemade soup
Removing Excess Fat From Soup
Lift Chair
Saving Money on a Lift Chair
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Mayonnaise in dish with fresh basil leaves.
Fat Free Mayonnaise Recipes
🎉
🎄