Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Paint Odors

How do I remove paint odors in new paint before painting my walls?

Lynn from Florida

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Mike [1]12/19/2009

They do make an additive that makes the paint smell good when you apply it and for a few months afterwards.

http://www.westsidedecoratingcenter ... /36-paint/78-paint-scentsations.html

Hope that helps.

By ritadita11/28/2009

The only thing that seems to clear the air in a freshly painted room is lots of ventilation; cross ventilation if possible. I have been painting with Kilz Odorless Primer and Olympic Premium Zero VOC, low odor paint. These products still have a bit of an odor and so the rooms should be ventilated during painting and while they are drying. No paint is completely odorless. Olympic paint is sold at Lowe's.

OSH sells Dutch Boy Freshair (?) paint that is zero VOC and it has baking soda in it I believe. It is supposed to help keep your home smelling fresh. I have not tried it. Home Depot sells Freshaire brand paint with zero VOCs. It is non-toxic because they have their own non-toxic tints. The paint can says "no chemical odor." Ace Hardware sells a brand of non-toxic paint also called Mythic. Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams also carry Low VOC/Low Odor paints. I have found Olympic to be considerably less expensive than the rest.

By Irene (Guest Post)01/25/2009

I painted 4 rooms with absolutely no odor by putting a few drops of real vanilla extract in each gallon of paint. It really does work!

By Freda F. (Guest Post)01/24/2009

Cut an onion and leave in the room until your finished painting.

By Janet [7]01/24/2009

They sell low odor paint now.

By (Guest Post)01/24/2009

I have been told that you can buy odorless paint, but I have never seen it and I don't know what brand it is.

By Janette [77]01/23/2009

I read somewhere to put vanilla extract in the paint and the odor would be gone. Never tried it myself tho.It has to be pure vanilla extract and not imitation vanilla. You could also try a site I like called eHow.com. They will have more ideas there. ~Janette~

By metroplex [81]01/22/2009

I've heard adding vanilla extract to the paint will take away the paint smell odor. I don't know how much - 1 tablespoon per gallon?

Good Luck!

By Harry (Guest Post)01/22/2009

I don't think you can. Once the paint dries and the room has plenty of ventilation the paint odor will subside. I suppose there are cosmetic household sprays you could use to disguise the odor.

Solutions: Removing Paint Odors

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: How to Reduce Paint Odors

There are a few items you can use that greatly help to mask or neutralize the smell of fresh paint. You also need to have good ventilation during, and for at least a couple of days after painting for health safety sake. Please keep in mind that these items only either mask or neutralize odor and that the VOCs (volatile organic compounds) in the paint will still be released into the air as the paint dries. For that reason if anyone has respiratory problems it would be best if they stay elsewhere for one night at the very least.

Here are the suggestions of what works for either odor masking or neutralizing:

Bioworld Odor Neutralizer Commercial Concentrate (Bon-Cc-41):
Is an odor neutralizer that can be ordered online. It's a tiny bit expensive, but it's concentrated:
http://store.bioworldusa.com/BioWorld-Odor-Neutralizer-Commercial-Concentrate/

Essential Peppermint Oil:
Peppermint oil is clear so it can be used even in white or cream tone paint colors to mask paint odor. Mix in 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per gallon of paint.

Lemon Extract:
Lemon extract can also be used even in white or cream tone paint colors to mask paint odor. Mix only 1 to 2 drops per gallon of paint.

Pure Vanilla Extract:
Use only clear vanilla extract for white or cream tone paint colors to mask paint odor. You can use light colored vanilla extract for all other paint colors. Mix in 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per gallon of paint.

Onions:
Cut a large peeled onion into quarters, place each in a separate saucer (one cut side facing down), add some water and place the saucers in different locations in the room.

Vinegar:
Place small bowls or small glasses filled part way with vinegar around the room.

Happy painting ;-)

**Bonus Note: The BioWorld Bon-Cc-41 can also be used to eliminate odors in carpets, hardwood floors, walls, and even laundry that are caused by smoke, skunk, pets, garbage, and urine.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!