Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Lanced Boil Has Not Gone Away

I had a boil lanced 1 week ago by the doctor. It still has not gone away. It filled with pus again. I have been dizzy and had a sinus-type headache for a few days now. The boil is not red just still has pus and raised.

Mom of 2 from Westland

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By badwater [242]07/17/2008

I used to have boils all the time during my childhood. Til my Dr. suggested my parents start buying Dial antibacterial soap. It sure did the trick for me, just by washing the area prone to boils, with that soap.

A couple of years ago, we got a 'recipe' from the owner of the local health food store for a "dental rinse", using Tea Tree Oil mixed with hydrogen peroxide & water. Tea Tree Oil is a natural anti-fungal. We've been using this stuff for other purposes as well. My husband has been putting this "dental rinse" on the tops of his feet for his athlete's feet. His feet haven't looked this good in years!! Best of luck to you!

By MaryBelle (Guest Post)07/14/2008

Pour castor oil on a clean white cloth made into a pad. Cover sore and keep in place so the oil on cloth can draw the problem out. Repeat as needed until it drains. If it doesn't, then go to the doctor.

By Wanda (Guest Post)07/10/2008

Place a piece of white potato on the boil, put a piece of gauze over it & tape it on & leave it on overnight. You will be amazed when you check it the next day. My husband had a boil & a woman at our church tol us to do this, we did'nt really think it would do much good, but we were willing to give it a try. It really works, the boil went away & did not come back. Please let me know how it worked for you.

By Lynda (Guest Post)07/10/2008

Pray. If it is not worse each day, only raised and not THAT sore but still not well, I'd use Walmart's DRAW OUT black salve, used on horses and bunnies as well, and it will LITERALLY draw that pus out with each application, onto a bigger bandaid to allow for soaking the pus up AND to keep the black ointment from getting on other things. It's messy, but, believe me, it works on ANYTHING FROM SPIDER BITES TO BOILS for us every single time. Use Perioxide to clean it at first, then never touch it. Put the right amount of the Draw Out on the bandaid or bandage, and CHANGE THREE TIMES A DAY, using Perioxide each and every time until it stops bubbling. If after three days, there is no MAJOR improvement, it's likely more serious as mentioned from others.

Your headache may/ may not be related, and can be helped by taking two good simple Acidolphilus capsules from a health food store, along with Mucinex once a day for a few days to see if it checks it. I take 50 mg. of Zinc when I feel ill. God bless and help you. : )

By Lynn (Guest Post)07/10/2008

Momof 2: You need to make sure and get this checked ASAP. My 22 yr old son recently had 2 bouts with MRSA and let me tell you it is not fun, the longer you wait the longer it takes to heal, possible hospitalization. If the dermotologist is on vacation see another doctor ASAP. He had to go a week each time daily to get the wound packed and on antibiotics for 30 days the 2nd time. Once you get it it can come back a 2nd time with no warning. Good luck

By siris (Guest Post)07/09/2008

I am assuming that the doctor kept a culture. If you have Watkins or Raleigh products or salesmen in your area, get a tin of Petro-carbo salve. It will amaze you at the way it draws out poison. Just place some on a piece of gauze and tape it overnight. Repeat if necessary.

By anna [4]07/08/2008

Hi I was wondering if your doctor also cultured it to make sure its not MRSA? and did he start you on antibiotics? since it is not red it may be fine but you need to call his nurse and let them know it still has puss. you can use warm moist compresses to help it drain and give you relief. since you did not mention where it would be hard to speculate if the sinus headache is related. the main thing is to make sure it is not MRSA its out and about in the communities and can be devistated if not treated so please contact your doctor
Anna (I am also an RN)

By Marty Dick [133]07/08/2008

PLEASE go to mayoclinic.com and do a site search for MRSA. This is serious and could be fatal.

By Melanie Jackson [1]07/07/2008

He should have another doctor on call; if not, try calling another dermatologist. If they can't get you in soon enough, contact an "urgent care" clinic. Failing that, ER would be a last resort...esp. since you're having symptoms like headache, etc. There's not much time to mess with something that could become serious.

By Tammy (Guest Post)07/07/2008

I also cannot urge you strongly enough to go back to your doctor. If the doctor that initially lanced the boil is out of town then go see your PCP. You need to have a culture done on the pus in the boil to find out for certain exactly what it is and what antibiotic it is sensitive to. If you are not taking the correct med then it will only get worse and will lead to cellulitis which will make you extremely sick. The process of this infection can be very, very fast and could be life threatening if not treated properly and FAST! It is also VERY contagious to anyone that is around the infection (pus) and certain types of staff can be airborne. I strongly encourage you to see your PCP immediately! Praying you will be seek treatment ASAP.

By Leslie [11]07/07/2008

Call whoever is covering for your dermatologist. You need an antibiotic now.

By SusannL [28]07/07/2008

You need to go to a dermatologist and get checked for MRSA pronto. DO NOT WAIT. The clinic doctor who treated my daughter's pus filled infection didn't recognize MRSA and we lost time using a prescribed antibiotic ointment that this infection is resistant to. You must get this checked. MRSA can become a serious infection if treatment is delayed. I am not trying to scare you. Could be just a boil or something, but I can't stress enough that you need to have it checked.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]07/07/2008

Contact the doctor's office ASAP!

By mom of 2 (Guest Post)07/07/2008

I did see the Dermatolgist. He is the one that lanced it. He is on vacation this week and next. Thank you for your posts. Great advise.