Cleaning Wood Vs. Laminate Flooring

I want to install wood/laminate floors in a new home I am buying. I prefer hardwood. I am concerned about cleaning them. I had hardwood in a house that I just moved out of (rented) and I cleaned them with my Scooba Robot using white vinegar and water. It did not seem to bother them, they looked as good when I moved out after 5 years. Any ideas on which kind is easier to clean?

Pat from Oregon

I've heard that the vinegar/water mixture is the way to go. Spray it on the floor, and wipe away with a dry/slightly damp mop.

NOTE: laminate flooring is a cheap product that may actually devalue your home in a few years. It'll be like the bad wood paneling that was so popular before. It certainly won't be much of a selling feature like hardwood. I also understand that the laminate has problems with off-gassing, so consider that, as well.

I have a laminated wood floor. I use ammonia on them and it works great. It keeps the shine and clean. If you read the boxes it comes with, it recommends it. One thing I did find using sponge mops are the worst. I got a rubber maid string mop and it don't leave streaks!

I clean houses professionally and find that laminate flooring is more difficult to keep from streaking, and if you wear rubber soled shoes on it, sometimes it will leave a mark that is very difficult to get off. I prefer hardwood over laminate, but you can clean laminate best w/ hot water and vinegar.

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsDecember 22, 2008
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Painting Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring