Removing Permanent Marker in Hair

My daughter created highlights in her hair with a red permanent marker, how can I remove it?

Cuscus from Winchester ON

i hate to say this but did it look nice? because i might try it in my brown hair unless people can tell me its terrible lol i do dye my hair to hide the grey but highlights are so expensive this sounds great

carol

Try goo gone but hair is more porous than the plastic I used this on, good luck!

I had a friend with this problem...she had to get her child's hair cut really short all over and it took most of it out....the only thing that worked somewhat was baking soda...the only thing safe to use really.

My son purposely marked his hair for spirit at a swim meet. I was trying to figure out how to get it out, but the problem took care of itselt. The next time he went swimming it was gone. I don't know if it was the chlorine or the sun or a combination, but it was gone :)

I've tried everything but it still won't come out

I personally have very dark hair so I've never been faced with this problem. However, I have a few suggestions which should at least diminish the intensity of the marker-colored hair, if not completely remove it.

(1) Vinegar is a great, cheap way to remove product build-up that accumulates in your hair over time from the use of heavy conditioners, hair sprays, gels/mousses, and residual waxes (a common ingredient in most shampoos and conditioners). Try apple cider vinegar full-strength. Heat it up in microwave first and then apply it w/ a squirt bottle to dry (product-free) hair. Use a fine-toothed comb to work vinegar into hair strands as much as possible. Then, wrap hair in shower cap (or plastic bag) and wait 30 mins. Wash w/ a 'Clarifying' shampoo (2x) afterward to thoroughly cleanse hair and eliminate vinegar odor.

(2) There's a product called, 'Malibu', that professional salons use to strip hair prior to tinting it- removing both product build-up and older, faded tints. You can buy 'Malibu' at Sally's Beauty Supply for under $5. It's a powder which only requires the addition of water to activate it. Instructions on back of package.

(3) You may want to try using a peroxide developer to strip marker color out. Developers come in 20, 30, and 40 volume & are generally used in conjunction w/ hair color or bleach to lift natural hair color (& deposit new color if tinting). Because these developers are harsh chemicals, start out w/lowest volume developer available to avoid unnecessary damage to hair. Ask employees at beauty supply for advice on and assistance with properly applying this product!

I just tried putting coon tails in my hair with a black sharpie, and I slipped. I just washed it out really good with lots of soap and I blow dried the piece of hair of which the marker was on, and most of it came out. One more wash and it should come out, for sure, but after you was it make sure to dry the piece of hair or the whole head.

Oh, my god, your daughter is brilliant! Such a great idea! (I am serious)

Your child sounds most creative! To help, you can use a *stripping shampoo* (Neutrogena makes one) for when you have a build-up of residue from chlorine, hairspray, mud or old shampoo and conditioners that leave a film on your hair etc. When using this type of clean shampoo, it'll cleanse deep and brings back that natural luster and shine. I am sure this would be helpful with your *marker* issue. Good luck! :)

I put pink, purple, blue and black sharpie in my already highlighted/colored blonde hair for colored highlights. (I know I'm an idiot). So far, I used dish soap, shampoo, vinegar, "oops" hair color remover, fingernail polish remover without acetone, and alcohol. NOTHING will get it out! Any more ideas people ? Please HELP

lemon=no

strip remover=yes

peroxide=no

vinegar=No

nair polish remover=yes

I colored part of my bangs purple and it looked super cool, but like a month later its all faded out pink and it looks bad and wont go away!

You can use coconut oil! :) Just saturate and wipe down the hair piece with coconut oil, then wash that area with shampoo.

Removing Permanent Marker from Hair
Removing Permanent Marker from Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsDecember 19, 2006
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎉
🎄