Removing Permanent Marker from Hair

Category Miscellaneous
If your or your child accidentally or intentionally got permanent marker in your hair it can be a chore to remove. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from hair.

My daughter created highlights in her hair with a red permanent marker, how can I remove it?

Cuscus from Winchester ON

Answers

i hate to say this but did it look nice? because i might try it in my brown hair unless people can tell me its terrible lol i do dye my hair to hide the grey but highlights are so expensive this sounds great

carol

Try goo gone but hair is more porous than the plastic I used this on, good luck!

I had a friend with this problem...she had to get her child's hair cut really short all over and it took most of it out....the only thing that worked somewhat was baking soda...the only thing safe to use really.

My son purposely marked his hair for spirit at a swim meet. I was trying to figure out how to get it out, but the problem took care of itselt. The next time he went swimming it was gone. I don't know if it was the chlorine or the sun or a combination, but it was gone :)

I've tried everything but it still won't come out

I personally have very dark hair so I've never been faced with this problem. However, I have a few suggestions which should at least diminish the intensity of the marker-colored hair, if not completely remove it.

(1) Vinegar is a great, cheap way to remove product build-up that accumulates in your hair over time from the use of heavy conditioners, hair sprays, gels/mousses, and residual waxes (a common ingredient in most shampoos and conditioners). Try apple cider vinegar full-strength. Heat it up in microwave first and then apply it w/ a squirt bottle to dry (product-free) hair. Use a fine-toothed comb to work vinegar into hair strands as much as possible. Then, wrap hair in shower cap (or plastic bag) and wait 30 mins. Wash w/ a 'Clarifying' shampoo (2x) afterward to thoroughly cleanse hair and eliminate vinegar odor.
(2) There's a product called, 'Malibu', that professional salons use to strip hair prior to tinting it- removing both product build-up and older, faded tints. You can buy 'Malibu' at Sally's Beauty Supply for under $5. It's a powder which only requires the addition of water to activate it. Instructions on back of package.

(3) You may want to try using a peroxide developer to strip marker color out. Developers come in 20, 30, and 40 volume & are generally used in conjunction w/ hair color or bleach to lift natural hair color (& deposit new color if tinting). Because these developers are harsh chemicals, start out w/lowest volume developer available to avoid unnecessary damage to hair. Ask employees at beauty supply for advice on and assistance with properly applying this product!

I just tried putting coon tails in my hair with a black sharpie, and I slipped. I just washed it out really good with lots of soap and I blow dried the piece of hair of which the marker was on, and most of it came out. One more wash and it should come out, for sure, but after you was it make sure to dry the piece of hair or the whole head.

Oh, my god, your daughter is brilliant! Such a great idea! (I am serious)

Your child sounds most creative! To help, you can use a *stripping shampoo* (Neutrogena makes one) for when you have a build-up of residue from chlorine, hairspray, mud or old shampoo and conditioners that leave a film on your hair etc. When using this type of clean shampoo, it'll cleanse deep and brings back that natural luster and shine. I am sure this would be helpful with your *marker* issue. Good luck! :)

I put pink, purple, blue and black sharpie in my already highlighted/colored blonde hair for colored highlights. (I know I'm an idiot). So far, I used dish soap, shampoo, vinegar, "oops" hair color remover, fingernail polish remover without acetone, and alcohol. NOTHING will get it out! Any more ideas people ? Please HELP

lemon=no
strip remover=yes
peroxide=no
vinegar=No
nair polish remover=yes

I colored part of my bangs purple and it looked super cool, but like a month later its all faded out pink and it looks bad and wont go away!

I have a problem. I was bored and got blue Sharpie in my hair and I can't get it out. My mom will freak out when she sees my blue hair and if I don't get it out by tonight or in the morning I will be going to school with blue hair and I will be known as Sharpie girl. Any advice or tips on how to get this out?

I have Sharpie in my hair. How do I get it out?

Alisha from Elma, WA

Answers

I think it will probably come out in a few washes if not just one. I can't imagine you have enough sharpie in your hair to be too noticeable, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've gotten sharpie in my hair before and it comes out rather easily with shampoo, but it may depend on your hair color, too.

maybe nail polish remover. test on an inconspicuous place on hair first. then wash it i would think it would come out.

I currently have sharpie in my hair.
Its red and I thought it looked cool and I noticed after one wash it was fading already so I applied more. Well its been about 1 month and it still hasnt come out.
I don't know how to get it out but I talked to my father and he said that Sharpie has acetone in it and acetone is a thinner so he said eventually my hair will fall out.
So if I were you I'd stop wither the sharpie once you get it out.

Does sharpie make your hair fall out?

Editor's Note: I don't know why it would but I suppose it is possible.

I put sharpie in my hair[my hair is brown] and after a couple of washes with shampoo it will come out. It just seems to get all over your towel.

How do you get purple Sharpie out of your hair? I have tried alcohol already.

I put Crayola permanent marker in my hair. How do I get it out?

By Julissa

Answers

You might have to let it grow out or color all your hair with the appropriate type of color.

My friend said she wanted to color my black hair with a silver Sharpie. It's been in a day; I think I got one side of it out, but there is still some in. How do I remove it?

By Mercedes M.

Answers

Anonymous

Keep shampooing daily and it will eventually be gone. ;-)

Can you get red Sharpie out of brown hair? It's been in for a while now, but I want it to come out now! What should I do?

By Jessika

Answers

Try saturating the colored hair with rubbing alcohol. You might have to apply more than once - it dries very quickly.
If the color comes out, you need to wash your hair afterwards.

Can someone suggest anything for removing permanent purple ink from bleach blond hair? A friend of mine who has waste length hair, picked up a marker to hold her hair up in a bun... Unbeknownced to her the cap came off and leaked a nice big extremely conspicuous blotch of ink in the middle of her hair. She tried washing it out with shampoo but it didnt have any impact on the stain.

Stephanie from Tustin, CA

Answers:

Permanent Ink In Har

Lemon juice might help. Section off that strip. and then use old cloth with hair sandwiched in between and blot like. Call a local beautician also. (10/08/2005)

By giggligoo

Permanent Ink In Hair

The only thing I know that will definitely take it out is nail polish remover. But, I don't know if this will damage her hair. (10/10/2005)

By sjackie2000

Permanent Ink In Hair

Try isopropyl alchohol 99%. I removed sharpie black permanent marker from white leather shoes with this. Good Luck. (10/30/2005)

By Lisa

Permanent Ink In Hair

Nail polish remover will work, but must be the kind WITH acetone. Good luck! (04/27/2006)

By KerBearRN

Permanent Ink In Hair

The same thing happened to me I used nail polish remover and immediately washed it out with cold water this seemed to get it out almost immediately. (11/06/2006)

By jessica