Getting Rid of Earthworms

How do I get rid of earthworms?

By lougerry61

Why would you want to? Earthworms are a huge asset in the garden/lawn. They aerate the soil and fertilize.

I totally agree! Earthworms are your garden's best friend! Some people actually buy them in order to improve their soil. Anyway, I don't believe there would be a way to get rid of them without completely making your soil barren and useless.

I have forty years of experience with gardening and earthworms. The worms we have totally destroy a perennial flower bed in about five years. They eat the organic material and leave the clay. You can hardly get a spade in. The lumps are full of tunnels like cheese. Sure it's aeriated, but nothing will grow in clay lumps. I hate earthworms. Bring your spade and dig up all you want...free.

Honestly, you don't want to. They are what is keeping your soil healthy. Unless you really want a dry space with no vegetation?

Oh don't kill them. Earthworm casings are the best planting medium. They are so wonderful for the ground. I've even had them in house plants. Leave them alone.

They're really good for the soil they aerate it.

DON'T! That's a fantastic problem to have. ;)

I recently spent most of an afternoon, raking leaves away in a wooded area and collecting earthworms to put in my garden. They can break up heavy soil and the castings actually fertilize the soil. Healthy veggies in healthy soil are less attractive to the pests that damage the plants. I purposely avoid chemical fertilizers in my garden to make sure that the worms are protected.

Harlean from Arkansas

I second each answer they are wonderful for the earth. I even bought some for my raised flower beds. I saved them from a fish hook, LOL

You don't say where you're from or what kind of soil you have. While earthworms are great, in some soils (clay for instance), they aren't so good. You might try adding fine sand to your soil. Earthworms don't like sand. Do add equal parts of good compost to create a nice loam. That should do it.

Not that I mind the worms but they are getting into the house! That is a nuisance!

I do not have a thing against earth worms just the moles they attract, I only want them out of my yard. The worms and the moles can have the 10 acres. Moles love worms and I have too many. Gary Western Washington.

My guess is that none of you who have posted not to get rid of earthworms have never had too many. After about 20 years struggling with what they do to my vegetable garden and flower beds, I've given up. I will now kill them. When you have too many, they deplete the soil of organic matter and it clumps. (I add compost every year, sand the last couple.) I'm digging potatoes now and the soil comes up in big hard clumps. A clump that is the equivalent of 8" x 8" may have upwards of 30 earthworms in it and is networked with trails. Now I just have to figure out how to kill them. They aren't a problem in the lawn because the robins eat them, but there are parts of the vegetable and flower gardens they can't get at because of the vegetation.

I have a huge worm casting problem in my lawn. Like 6 to 8 four inch mounds of dirt sticking up in each square foot of yard. I really don't care how "wonderful" worms are for my soil. It's my soil, now, and it want the worms gone. So, Sevin it is. ( LOL. I love it when tree huggers ruin their good works by accident.)

Home and Garden Pest Control WormsJune 21, 2009
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
Earthworms In Garden
Earthworms In Your Garden
🎄
🍂