Cleaning Wool Pants

I would like to try to clean 2 pairs of wool pants without taking them to the drycleaners or using the dry cleaning stuff you put in the dryer. I don't feel like these methods really freshen the clothing - they still smell dirty to me. Is it safe to wash them in the washing machine and hang them up to dry? I was thinking about using woolite. The fabric content on one pair says 99% wool and 1% other and the other pair says 60% rayon, 37% wool and 3% mohair. I'm not as nervous about washing the pair that is 60% rayon but I thought I'd better seek advice first. So, any advice would be appreciated!

Allison from TN

woolite will work,give it a try.

Remember to use cool water.

If you're going to try it, I would hand wash them & allow them to dry flat or hang over a shower rod & re-position them frequently. Good Luck. Maybe try just one before you chance ruining them all?

EVERYTHING wool I've ever washed in water, even in Woolite has RUINED! I STRONGLY recommend home dry cleaning, and only 4 lbs of fabric per load/packet. It's CHEAP and wonderfully cleans. If yours still smells dirty, do it TWICE. It may be because it has accumulated a LOT of body

odors/oils that need removing. Once clean, don't wait so long to clean it for any reason, remembering that every two wearings for the average person produces LOTS of oils/odors. The cheapest dry cleaning companies often have moth eggs that are then transferred to your woolens. I encourage you to rethink your conclusion , to PLEASE BITE THE BULLET and DO IT YOURSELF!! Then, don't buy anymore woolens! God bless you as you try to preserve what you have in the best/most frugal way.

If it's got wool, I wouldn't throw it in the washer. I'm betting that it would be ruined for sure.

Washing Wool Clothing
Washing Wool Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing WoolSeptember 10, 2006
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Decorating with Area Rugs, Cleaning a Wool Area Rug, Wool area rug on a living room floor.
Cleaning a Wool Area Rug
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
Close up of Steel Wool
Saving Money On Steel Wool