Making Yogurt in a Crockpot

I make my yogurt in the crock pot and heat on low, but it is so hot. I turn it off after that. I let it set, but it is still watery. Should I turn it off?

By Jess from Malaysia

This will give you step-by-step instructions.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/200 ... an-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

I also use the recipe from this website to make yogurt. It is absolutely delicious! Read the comments section, it's long but has a lot of good ideas. Mine has come out a little watery sometimes, so I'm thinking about using a little of the gelatin they suggest. Also, I put a cookie tray on the rack in my oven & lay 2 large towels on it crosswise(like the letter " t ", put just the crock(not the holder) on the towels & wrap it up real good.I let it sit all night in the oven & it turns out great in the AM.

Read the archive section that is showing up under your question, it has some great tips!

The best advice I got for making a thicker yogurt was from someone here on ThriftyFun. Add 2-4 cups of dry milk to the recipe, depending how thick you like it. I am not sure when she adds it but I add it when I put in the cup of starter yogurt. I take out 2 cups of warm milk from the crockpot and add the dry milk. Stir it very well, add the starter yogurt, stir and add back to the pot. This is for making a gallon in a 6 qt. pot.

I am now on my 4th batch of delicious yogurt! I don't use any gelatin or powders. I use a large crock (gal size) that's all I have and so I pour a half gallon of combination 2% milk with nonfat milk and I have also poured 2 cups half and half and the other 6 cups non fat milk.

I cook on low 2 hours and 45 minutes. I unplug so I don't forget to turn off and cool 3 hours with lid on. I have room temp the 1/2 cup yogurt from the batch before and ladle some of the warm milk to break it up. I pour that mixture in a bowl and whisk so its smooth, creamy and well blended and pour all that back into the crock. I even use a spatula to make sure I get every drop from the bowl.

I mix everything again with the whisk to ensure all again is very well blended but I am not creating a froth. I even get the line that forms around the crock from the milk cooking and cooling rubbed off with the whisk as I am mixing for about 45 seconds. I blanket my crock with 2 fleeced hooded jackets.

Example: my last batch I was done mixing at 4pm and so all was incubating from 4pm to next day 9am. I know that sounds so long but sitting longer I noticed less whey and better super white creamy sweet texture. Then I poured into my prepared colander and cheese cloth process to get more whey out for about 2-3 hours maybe less.

I also drain the whey every half hour during the draining period. Once I got the thicker creamy consistency of Greek yogurt I right away started spooning into containers or glass jars if you prefer.

That's it! I am 55 and since I have been eating plain yogurt this past 6 months 2 cups a day, my IBS has gone away, my hot flashes are better. I feel good all the time and I eat less and am slimming down in the process. You are eating a dish of "health". Enjoy!

Hello this is Hawaii. I forgot to mention that I drain the yogurt in the refrigerator, until I get the Greek yogurt consistency.

Homemade yogrut in a brown bowl.
Homemade Yogurt Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes CrockpotJune 1, 2010
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
Making Yogurt Without Milk
Making Yogurt Without Milk
🎉
🎄