Growing Anemone

Category Bulbs
Blue anenome flower and bud.
These versatile bulbs will add color to your garden either in sun or light shade. This is a guide about growing anemone.

This flower is rather new to me. It was given to me a couple of years, ago. Just today, I learned it's name. It is a Japanese anemone. One of it's popular common names is 'wind flower'.

Since finding it's name, I did a bit of research. They are perennials, available in a wide range of colors. They are a rather slender plant, attaining a height of around two to three feet. They die down to the ground each winter and return each spring.

They can be easily grown from seed and require very little care. They do not appreciate strong, full sun, and thrive in part shade.

They do have one peculiarity. They are very sensitive to both dry and wet soil. During the growing season, they should be kept evenly moist at all times.

An attribute of this flower is that it blooms late summer when a nice splash of color is welcome. It tends to multiply rather quickly. I over wintered mine above ground in pots (zone 7b). They didn't seem to mind, at all.

Unusual for me, I've never checked to see if the flower has a fragrance.

Botanical Name:

Anemone

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

most species are planted in the fall

Height:

varies according to species

Exposure:

full sun or light shade

Soil:

light, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

zones 4- 11, but varies according to type

Bloom Time:

spring

Flower:

variety of colors

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

bulbs

Suggested Use:

shrub borders, woodland plantings, rock gardens, beds and borders

Growing Hints:

Plant Greek Wind Flower bulbs in zones 4-8 in the spring. They grow to a height of 4" to 6" and prefer rich, well-drained soil and sun to partial shade. Plant Poppy Anemone bulbs in zones 8-11 in the spring. They grow to heights of 12" to 18" and prefer light sandy soil and full sun. Both species are attractive to mice and squirrels and can be protected by laying chicken wire over soil after planting.

Interesting Facts:

Blooms close at night and on cloudy days. The Greek Wind Flower takes its name form a story out of Greek Mythology. Adonis was wounded by Aphrodite's jealous ex-lover while out hunting. When Aphrodite found him, she sprinkled nectar on his wounds. As she carried his lifeless body out of the woods, Crimson Anemones sprang up where drops of the nectar and his blood dripped to the ground. It is said then, that the wind which blow blossoms open, will soon afterwards blow the petal away. So it is called the Wind Flower, for that which brings its life forth, ends it.

How can I propagate anemones? I already have some plants growing at the moment. Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By richardpeeej from UK

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
This graceful flower is one of my favorites. I love the curving lines of the stems and the tight round buds. My garden path needs weeding, but that will have to wait for another day.

Photo Location
My garden in western NY.

Comment Like this photo? 7