Maintaining Your Refrigerator Gasket

contest winner icon

Did you know that one of the first thing to wear out of a refrigerator is the rubber door gasket? So, with this simple tip, you can protect the gasket from cracking, drying, and mildew. Just apply a very thin coat of Vaseline petroleum jelly. By this simple procedure, you are preforming a preventative for the cracking, drying, and mildew! It also improves the seal!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

I have been using refrigerators for 50 years and have never had a gasket wear out. Never. I would think Vaseline would deteriorate the gasket by making it sticky in the long run. Keeping the gasket clean would stop it from sticking which would pull it away from the door.

Lilac, I am glad you never had a gasket wear out, I am 67 and I have had many refrigerators. Two of which my husband had to replace the gaskets on. The rubber gets hard on some. The Vaseline doesn't get sticky if you just apply a thin coat as I stated. It keeps the rubber soft. It has worked for me. Dorothy

I bet it helps prevent sticking as well, mine seems to always stick, even after cleaning it!

We had to have our refrigerator worked on a few years ago & they had to replace our gasket,thankfully still under warranty. The repairmen both said that it is usually the gasket that goes 1st,either by tearing or drying out & shrivelling or cracking.

Cleaning a Refrigerator Gasket
Home and Garden Repair Appliances RefrigeratorJuly 6, 2011
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
Repairing a Refrigerator Door Gasket
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
Refrigerator Door
Testing a Refrigerator Seal