1970's Weight Watchers Plans

Finding the older diet recipes that have worked for you is sometimes a challenge. This guide is about 1970's Weight Watcher plans.

1970s disco ball
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 30, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have a copy of the Weight Watchers diet from the 1970s that they could share? or know how to find one online? I've lost mine and that diet seemed to work for me back then and the new versions don't now. The new one is too lenient for me. I need the structure of the old diet. Thanks.

By Janet from AR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I googled 1970s weight watchers plan and got a page of instructions. It was called THE WAY IT WAS, perhaps you can find it

My Mother and I went together back in the late 60's.

The one thing I remember best was the rules for

breaking a plateau...to get the ball rolling again

after having lost an initial amount of weight then

leveling off.

We ate 2 oz of water-packed tuna at breakfast

along with one-half grapefruit, black coffee, and 1

lice of whole wheat bread. At lunch, we ate a big

green tossed salad with 1 tsp of olive oil and 2 tsp

apple cider vinegar, 4 oz V-8 or tomato juice and

tea (hot or cold) without sugar. Sugar substitute is

OK.

In the evening, (before 6pm), we were allowed to

have the other 3-4 oz of that can of water-packed

tuna fish, 1 slice of whole wheat bread, the other half of grapefruit, a green salad with 1 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, hot tea or coffee.

At bedtime, we could have an 8 oz glass of

low fat skimmed milk or buttermilk. We stayed on that for an entire week, and it would always break that plateau... Losing about 3 pounds for the week, and then any time we felt like we were not losing, we'd go right back on that "crash" diet. It always

worked, but we always gained back what we'd lost in

the long run. I finally decided to just be happy the

way I was...and I've made it to 75...so far. :-) I'm

not done just yet either. Fairly healthy and very

assy according to my husband.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I think that if you had good luck then, it was about your age...it works better when you are younger because you are more active. As we age, we need a lot more exercise to lose pounds effectively. I would love to lose even 10 pounds but find that the older I get the more difficult it is. I agree with Pookarina, I am getting to the point where it is "take me or leave me."

The post from MartyD is exactly right! I did the same thing, and found the 1970s weight watchers. In the 60s the original plan was very Spartan; 1970s included fats and was wonderful, with just enough structure (as I need as well) but a little wiggle room on what you ate & when. I remember them saying they found that this version produced body shape changes that they hadn't seen before, or expected. Here's the website: http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/old1972ww.html

November 4, 2010 Flag

I am looking for the original diet food exchange program from Weight Watchers from the 1960s.

By Margern from Murrysville, PA

I highly recommend giving the current WW program (Momentum) a go. Been on it just over a year and have lost 79.6 pounds. :O)

Old Weight Watchers (1970s-1990s) Exchange Booklet

https://docs.google.com/document/d/ ... -qWap2yZNkBA4w2nX4dMxztLf705O3U/edit

November 4, 2010 Flag

I'm trying to find the first Weight Watchers diet that Jean Neidich started in 1963.

By skajj01 from Staten Island, NY

Answers:

60's and 70's Weight Watchers Food Plans

Original Weight Watcher's Plan per Day:

9 oz protein; 3 fruits; 3 fats; 2 breads; 3 veggies (at least); 2 milks.

You need to get no more than 30z of cheese a week and 1 of those days you have to eat liver. 8oz of water a day is also recommended. A serving of the above is 3 oz protein per meal, 1 banana is 2 fruits, or 1 apple, and so many berries, etc. Fats are 1 tbs per serving, milk is 8oz per serving and bread is 1/2 cup rice or pasta or 1 piece of bread. (10/19/2009)

By av8rs3

No way the original diet was 9 oz. of meat a day. It was 4-6 oz. for lunch and 6-8 oz. at dinner. And this was to be the after cooking weight.

The reason there were lots of recipes with dehydrated onions was that onions were on the limited vegetable list. Not only did that mean they had more calories, but WW's had a rule that you couldn't split them up. So, if you wanted real onions, you had to eat 1/2 - 1 C at a time! And of course, they couldn't be fried. But dehydrated onions were a free food.

Here is the original diet as I remember it. They gave you little blank menus with places to mark off your daily/weekly requirements or allowances, which helped.

Breakfast

• 1 egg, poached or hard boiled (I don't know why you couldn't have it scrambled on Teflon ware, maybe Teflon wasn't popular enough yet)
  • 1 slice white or whole wheat bread
  • 1 serving fruit

Lunch

• 4-6 oz meat or 2 eggs or 2 oz hard cheese or 2/3 C soft cheese
  • 1 slice white or whole wheat bread
  • at least one serving vegetables, unlimited

Dinner

• 6-8 oz meat
  • 1/2 or 1 C limited (aka #2 vegetable)
  • preferably some unlimited vegetables

Daily Required

• 1 Tbsp oil (could be eaten to 1 tsp increments)
  • 2 servings dairy
  • 1/2 - 1 C limited vegetable (sorry, can't remember which!)
  • 1 serving of dark green vegetable (I can't remember if that serving of this was 1/2 C or 1 C, either)
  • 3 fruit servings, at least one of which had to be citrus

Daily Allowed For Free

• 1 C tomato juice

Weekly Required

• 7 eggs a week, at first, all at breakfast. You could have additional ones at lunch! Later, after the cholesterol scare, you were only allowed 4 per week, all at breakfast. None were required.
  • 1 meal with liver, beef, or chicken. If beef, it had to be broiled.

Weekly Allowed

• 3 beef meals for either lunch or dinner but there were 2 rules; 1)all beef had to be broiled so that any grease dripped into a pan and 2)you had to use the low end of the allowance for any beef meal, that is, 4 oz at lunch or 6 oz at dinner. Beef meals included: ground beef, round steak, trimmed completely, lean sirloin, trimmed completely and all-beef hot dogs (2 per meal).
  • 4 oz cheese divided into two meals and only eaten for lunch

Meats Not Allowed

• pork of any kind
  • deli or meat or poultry
  • smoked meat or any other kind of processed meat or poultry
  • duck
  • wild game
  • lamb (except for Passover! Jean was Jewish, lol. But the once a year lamb counted as a beef meal and had to be broiled like beef). It wasn't allowed the rest of the time because it it more fatty.

Fish Not Allowed

• shellfish
  • salmon
  • mackerel

Vegetables Not Allowed

• avocados
  • potatoes
  • corn
  • yucca and other potato-like veggies

Food Lists

Fruits Serving (had to have one fruit at breakfast; the other 2 could be eaten any time.

• one small of most
  • 1/2 small banana or grapefruit
  • 1 C strawberries
  • 1 1/2 C watermelon
  • 1/4 medium cantaloupe
  • 1 med tomato
  • 1/2 C most juices except tomato. 1 serving tomato juice = 8 oz

Dairy Serving (could be eaten any time)

• 8 oz skim milk (originally, only reconstituted dry milk was allowed, but that changed early on)
  • 2/3 C plain unflavored yogurt
  • 2/3 C buttermilk
  • 1/2 C evaporated skim milk
  • 1/3 C dry milk
  • soft cheeses allowed at breakfast or lunch, never dinner
  • 2 T cream cheese
  • 1/2 C or 2/3 C 2% cottage cheese or Farmer's cheese (depending on which meal)
  • hard cheeses to be eaten at lunch only and limited to 4oz/week
  • 2 oz cheddar, mozzarella, American, Swiss, etc. (this was before low fat cheese much, much later they were allowed and you got double)

Oils: 1 Tbsp per day with meals (could be split into increments of 1 tsp)

• vegetable, salad, or olive oil
  • mayonnaise (no low fat or fat free back then; later allowed to use low fat and count it as 1/2 the fat as in regular)

Limited Vegetables:

• peas
  • onion
  • Lima beans
  • pumpkin or other squash
  • carrots (I think)

Unlimited Vegetables

Those unlimited on most diets (celery, lettuce and lettuce family, broccoli, cabbage, green beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, cauliflower, turnips, beets, etc)

Unlimited Dark Greens vegetables

• broccoli
  • spinach
  • kale
  • collard and other greens

Free Foods:

• herbs
  • mustard
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • boullion, chicken or beef
  • dehydrated onions
  • diet Jell-o
  • diet soda pop
  • tea and coffee, no sugar or honey
  • diet sweeteners
  • 8 oz tomato juice (this could also count as a vegetable or fruit. If you drank it as a fruit at breakfast, then you could have 3 fruits to snack on between meals or at night.

Condiments Not Allowed:

• catsup
  • barbeque sauce
  • commercial salad dressings
  • tomato sauce or paste

Later Changes

Eggs: After the cholesterol scare, they changed egg requirements to 4/week. You could have them at breakfast or lunch (1 if breakfast, 2 at lunch). You only options for breakfast were 1/2 C soft cheese or 2 oz protein with your bread and fruit. Later still, they changed it so that you could have cereal, more on that below.

Low fat products; They pretty much didn't exist until the 70s. When they started to be available, changes were made slowly. For example, you could use diet margarine and diet mayo and they were worth half the fat. But, you didn't really need more, so most people didn't.

Alba and cocoa powder; Alba was a chocolate mix drink that was allowed early on because it wasn't higher in calories than regular milk and contained all the nutrients, supposedly. At some point, an allowance of cocoa powder was made. I can't remember the amount, but you mixed it with hot water, a pinch of salt and sugar substitute for cocoa.

Tomato sauce: Commercial tomato sauce wasn't allowed since it had added sugar. To make tomato sauce for anything, you had to use your cup of tomato sauce, boiling it to reduce by half and adding Italian seasonings and if desired, sugar substitute.

Early 70s Changes;

Allowed you to eat diet cheese for twice the bang and allowed you to use some previously illegal grains, potatoes, cereals.

Three times a week only, for dinner or lunch and in the place of your serving of bread at lunch, you could have:

• oatmeal, equal to no more than 120 calories
  • dry cereal, no sugar, no more than 120 calories
  • 1/2 C cooked rice, wheat, or other grain
  • 1/2 C cooked egg noodles
  • 2/3 C cooked macaroni
  • 1 ounce corn meal
  • potatoes, equal to no more than 120 calories

Legumes and peanut butter came in the mid 70s and I don't remember the rules. (01/04/2010)

By Lindij

Recipes: I have more in an old recipe box that I will look for. I just remember these that
I still sometimes cook:

Pizziolas 60s thru 70s):

• 1 slice bread
  • tomato sauce (made from reduced tomato juice and herbs)
  • 2 oz Mozzarella or for a switch, cheddar, grated

Very lightly toast bread, don't brown it. Just make it dry so that it doesn't get soaked up when you add, tomato paste, spread over it. Add Italian herbs, to taste, on top and - grated cheese. Place under broiler til cheese melted.

Buttermilk Chicken Lunch (60s thru 70s)

• 4 oz chicken breast, cut into 1 oz pcs.
  • 2/3 C buttermilk
  • chives
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • dehydrated onions
  • 1 slice bread, crumbled

Dip chicken in the buttermilk and then in the bread crumbs. Place into a small casserole dish or pan that has been sprayed lightly with Pam (not really allowed til later, but...). Then mix remaining crumbs and buttermilk with the Worcestershire sauce and chives and pour over the chicken.

Bake on 400F til chicken is cooked through and "crust" has browned. Sound terrible, I know, and maybe it was, but I ate it all the time. Compared to the fish 5 times a week, it was like a gourmet meal, lol. And not liking milk, I was always trying find ways to use my dairy requirements up.

Cola Chicken (not very healthy, but not bad tasting).

• 1 can diet cola
  • 4-16 oz chicken breast (4-8 for one, 8 -16 for two of you)

Place seasoned chicken in a slow cooker and pour the cola over the top. Cook on slow 4 hours. "Kinda" like BBQ, lol.

(01/05/2010)

By Lindij

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 20, 2009 Flag

I would like to know the Weight Watchers plan from the 1970s. It worked so well back then, and I desperately want to lose some weight. Thanks.

April 7, 2009 Flag

I'm looking for the Weight Watchers food plan from the sixties and seventies. Does anyone still have a copy of these? Thanks.

Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingApril 16, 2013
Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
Weight Watchers Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
Weight Watchers Help Scale
Calculating Weight Watchers Point Totals
Yogurt Bread Dough
Weight Watchers Yogurt Bread Dough
Weighing in on Scale
Using Weight Watchers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 10:52:46 AM on 10.0.1.152 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.