Storing Grocery Bargains

We all like to save money and stock up on good grocery bargains when we find them. However, we want them to stay fresh until we're ready to use them. This is the best solution that I've found.

Many items can be kept fresh a long time in the fridge or freezer when unopened or even after opening if sealed well, such as in a ziploc bag. (Don't use the new zipper type though, just the original Ziploc). Bags of potato chips or cookies, boxes of cereal or crackers all do very well in the fridge or freezer. They absolutely will not get soggy if sealed properly.

I've stored things like this for a few months and they remained fresh until ready to use. I even store surplus hand lotion, face cleansing cream, and the like in the fridge for several months. It keeps it from getting rancid and stale. Try it, you'll be surprised.

By Laura from Elberta, AL

I AGREE. I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS AND HAVE NEVER LOST ANYTHING STORED THAT WAY. I FREEZE A LOT OF SO CALLED NON-FREEZABLES.

I get tupperware from my mom or the thrift stores (selectively) and store my snacks, rice, and other stuff in there. My garage hold the overflow non-perishables like juice and cans. My extra baking bags (flour, sugar, etc.) stay in the bags and sit inside some sealed containers to stay dry and keep bugs out.

For the freezer, I use ice cube trays for semi-solid like pumpkin or cookie dough, then transfer to gallon size bags. Meat gets separated and stored in quart size bags or wrapped in foil AND then into gallon size for extra protection. This is how I preserve my plums blackberries and apples in the fall

When you live in an apartment, it's a little harder to store things. There isn't room in my refrigeratorto store all of the things mentioned. Due to bad shoulders, I can't reach things that are in the back of my refrigerator, therefore, I bought some of those plastic shoe boxes and put items in them, that way if I need something in the back of the frig., I can just slide the plastic box out as far as I need to in order to reach whatever is in the back of it. These plastic boxes do take up a little more room, but they sure make it conveneient for me.

A paper bag full of groceries
Storing Groceries
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJune 21, 2006
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
Bent N Dent Grocery Store
Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store
Geisha Girl with White Border on Sides
Making a Geisha Costume
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
🎄