ReusingGreen Living

Wrangling Plastic Grocery Bags

I consistently use plastic grocery bags for two things: my husband's lunch and poop patrol for my 3 large dogs. After putting the groceries away I would have a bag of bags. I tried rolling them up to put in a plastic container but it took FOREVER to it, although I did like the idea of having them neat and orderly and ready for use.

Basically, this tip is to efficiently set up your supplies the way you use them and place them in a convenient spot!

This takes just minutes and saves me time and aggravation.

For Lunch Bags:

1. Lay out a bag, smoothing it out.
    2. Repeat for all bags until you have a stack of them.
    3. Fold in half lengthwise
    4. Then fold in half again.
    5. Stack them.
    6. Ad

7. Put them in a lone bag and hang in a convenient spot.

For Poop Patrol:

1. I use two bags for this job. Place one bag inside another
    2. Repeat until you're out of bags
    3. Ad

4. I put them in a cube in my cube holder with the gloves I use.

There are better ways. Look for something called a sack sock- its a fabric tube with elastic and both ends, and a fabric or ribbon loop for hanging. Very easy to make for just a couple dollars. Holds quite a few bags. Crumble and push in top, and pull them out the bottom as needed. Or you can fold them like on this video: youtu.be/mOtFO50f2FY then just put into a container or an empty tissue box.

Soon these plastic bags will be outlawed in every state. They are a major factor in pollution. For under ten dollars you can order over one thousand waste basket liners that are strong enough for your purpose and come on a roll.

I realize the grocery ones are free but they wont be around forever

Thank you. Please point me to the waste basket liners where I can buy 1,000 for under $10.00.

I'm taking care of an incontinent parent. These would be very useful I would think.

I took a mesh grapefruit bag, and stuff the bags into it. It holds a good many bags and have a Command Hook on my pantry door to hold the "bag holder". I place the bags in one at a time so that I can get them out easily enough.

As a whole I use of my own reusable insulated bags, but 15-20 yrs back, I took a pair of my sons/husband's blue jeans, cut off the ratty legs, ran sewing machine across the bottom, made a handle from some welting pieces and with a few cents, had a couple bags to hang on hooks in basement landing. By me mentioning to others, they purchased theirs from my sewing skills. Also what works, take a pair of child leggings...garage sale $.25.. flip one leg inside the other (doubles), sew at ankle, do a handle of any fabric/welting at the waist band, and it also gives you reusable bag..for bags or what ever. Can be cute pair or sturdy jean fabric.

Anyway, in a split of a second, you got them all put away. Our newspaper comes in a bag each morning as it is tossed to the deck. Our dog has now passed, but the newspaper bag was awesome for poop. Newspaper won't take back the bags, so I offered them up to the Doggie Park in our town. People donate in a metal box on site. The caregivers said the these smaller bags are less landfill. One trick, cut newspaper bag in half, knot one of the ends, and you still have appropriate size for sliding hand in, poop grab and still twist shut, flip to trash. We have to sort the poop to compost and the bag to non-process, easy to get done, not be fined for plastic where it does not belong.

I recycle most of the plastic bags that come in. I use reusable cloth ones for groceries, but my husband forgets to take them, and I can't always catch him before he goes to the store.

I include the newspaper bags, but I've kept a few for shoes when we travel. When I was pregnant and throwing up all the time, I doubled a newspaper bag and kept it in my car, in case I started getting sick while driving. Thankfully, I never did.