Cleaning TV and Computer Monitor Screens

What can I clean my computer screen with?

By Ellen from Holden, MO

Ideally use water and a cotton cloth. I think there is a monitor cleaner on the market but with anything besides water you take the chance of creating a film. If there is something particular on your screen that won't come off with water you can try a QTip with some cleaner like Windex on it. But only use that for small spots.

Windex has worked really well for all our TVs and monitors.

I used distilled vinegar. Be sure to uplug the monitor first when cleaning with anything fluid to be on the safe side so no components get fried. :-)

I use a micro cloth barely damp with warm water.

1/2 purified water and 1/2 rubbing alcohol, mix and use a very soft cotton cloth or old cotton sox. Dampen the cloth and rub gently on the screen, in straight sweeps. It works and the screen is clean. Dry with a dry part of the cloth.

March 1, 2011 Flag

Both screens accumulate fingerprints, dust and grime as a result of static electricity. With the set or screen turned off, use glass cleaner sparingly. Wet a rag or paper towel with the cleaner rather than spraying it on, to avoid getting cleaner on the cabinet.

By Donna Gros

Answers:

Cleaning the Computer Screen

Keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a dry wash rag by your computer, then when the screen gets dirty, put some alcohol on the rag and then wipe the screen clean.

By Melanie (11/26/2004)

By ThriftyFun

I keep a small stuffed lion on top of my monitor. He looks cute and when I have dust I swipe him across the screen. I toss him in the wash when dirty. I have also kept an old sock in the drawer near my computer for the same purpose, but a stuffed lion is much cuter. (11/29/2004)

By TC in Mo

Some good ideas, but read your monitor manufacturer's instructions. If you are using a CRT with a coated screen you might want to use nothing but clear water to clean it. That was in the instructions with my NEC 19" monitor and it works well. I have lots of glass cleaners, alcohol, vinegar (my usual glass-cleaning method), and so on, but my monitor's user manual strongly suggested using nothing but water. Read the manual to find out what the manufacturer recommends. (12/01/2004)

By Alph

Dryer Sheet

Another good idea - with big screen TVs being all the rage, keeping dust off of it by wiping a bounce dryer sheet keeps the dust at bay.

By PammyD (04/01/2005)

By ThriftyFun

I know several that have used glass spray and ruined their keyboard and other parts of their computer. Alcohol is the best. If you clean the back of a computer with metal you better make sure you ground it and not touch parts. It will destroy it. but use alcohol and Q tips for the insides of the buttons. Make sure it is off. You don't need it typing across the screen and sending commands.. It is all I have ever used and it is perfect. You know those alcohol wipes that come with meds for injections. They are perfect, but be careful. (07/24/2005)

By michala44

Have you tried using micro fiber cloths? (04/05/2006)

By ben123

I went to the site for my ViewSonic monitor. These were the instructions for CRT's and LCD monitors.

Cleaning CRT Monitors:

Wipe the screen with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth.This removes dust and other particles. If still not clean, dampen the soft cloth with water. If still not clean, apply a small amount of non-ammonia, non-alcohol based glass cleaner onto a clean, soft, lint-free cloth, and wipe the screen.

WARNING: Ammonia/alcohol based glass cleaner will damage the ARAG coating. Always spray cleaner onto cloth, NEVER directly onto screens.

Cleaning LCD Monitors:

Wipe the screen with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth. This removes dust and other particles.

If still not clean, apply a small amount of non-ammonia, non-alcohol based glass cleaner onto a clean, soft, lint-free cloth, and wipe the screen with only a slight pressure. Too much pressure may damage the screen.

WARNING: DO NOT use water on LCD Monitor

Cleaning monitor case:

Use a soft, dry cloth.

If still not clean, apply a small amount of a non-ammonia, non-alcohol based, mild non-abrasive detergent onto a clean, soft, lint-free cloth, then wipe the surface.

If you don't know whether your monitor is a CRT or LCD, ask your manufacturer or go to the website for the company that sells them.

Hopefully, this will clear up all questions for you. For those who may want or need more information, go to www. ViewSonic.com and click on Got A Question? Then a new window will open where you can type in your question. Happy Surfing!

I'm fabulous! Want to know why? Just ask.

(08/20/2006)

By penwright

By penwright

I cleaned my crt monitor with alcohol based cleaner swipe with a paper after that I saw a lot of scratches.
(07/29/2007)

By Joe

Diluted Kleen Green also works well. (07/31/2007)

By gurth

Alcohol works great to clean screens. Just use a cloth and its crystal clear.

Jewman (11/18/2008)

By Massivejew

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning ComputerMarch 1, 2011
Soft Bristled Brush
Cleaning Window Screens
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Computer Monitor
Adjusting the Resolution on a Computer Monitor
LCD TV Screen
Cleaning a TV Screen
🎉
🎄