Cleaning a TV Screen

Category Electronics
Oops, your child just used permanent marker to draw on the TV screen. This is a guide about cleaning a TV screen.

To erase permanent magic marker from a LCD screen I found that the best thing that worked for me was GooGone. My three year old grandson drew on my TV with a red sharpie and I was just livid since I'm still paying for this big screen TV.

Source: my neighbor

By Jacque from Coffeyville, KS

My question is how to clean the screen of a flat screen TV in a home where there is a smoker (make that heavy smoker!) The instructions say use only the anti-static cloth lightly dampened. I just do not think that's gonna do the trick. Help please!

By aligirl from Hudson Valley, NY

Answers

Best Answer

I just bought a new flat screen and the directions say do not use Windex or any cleaner with ammonia as an ingredient. I says it will fry the circuitry behind the screen. I would use a microfiber cloth dampened with vinegar or Pledge makes a Multi Surface spray and it also comes in package wet wipes.

I buy the wipes as I can keep them in the cabinet under my tv. Also the Pledge wipes have an anti static ingredient which repels dust. It says right on the package it's safe for electronics!
www.pledge.com/.../

Best Answer

Try isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It is the main ingredient in the monitor and TV cleaning sprays. Just us a soft microfiber cloth and be careful not to scratch the surface.

Best Answer

Light dishwashing liquid... not detergent... mixed with water in a spray bottle.

After unplugging your TV, spray the mix onto a microfiber cloth. NEVER spray anything directly onto your TV, and don't use vinegar or alcohol or anything other than this mix.

Buff in a side to side motion. If your flat screen is very large, you'll have to wipe in sections, and depending on the level of nicotine residue it may take you several times until your cloth turns up clean.

How do you clean a sticky TV screen? I know you aren't supposed to use a regular window cleaner, but I don't know what to use on it.
Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

How to clean your TV screen is just as important as what to clean it with.

• Most technical sites say it is best to refer to your TV manual/instructions for the safest way to clean your screen.
  • First: Turn off TV and unplug and do not turn on until you are sure the screen is dry.
  • Ad

• Most experts recommend using good old-fashioned water (distilled water is recommended) to clean your screen without damage. If your TV tends to collect lots of fingerprints, add about a teaspoon of isopropyl alcohol to a bowl of water to create your own homemade screen cleaner. Most rubbing alcohol is made from isopropyl alcohol, but always check the bottle before using this product to clean your TV. Some kinds of rubbing alcohol are actually made from ether.
  • Keep in mind that you should never spray these materials directly onto the screen. Instead, dip a lint-free or microfiber cloth into your cleaning solution of choice, then wring it out until it's just slightly damp. Many newer TVs come with an appropriate cleaning cloth, so check the box before you buy. You can also use a cloth designed for cleaning eyeglasses or camera lenses, as they're made to clean without leaving lint or scratches behind. Wipe the screen very gently in smooth, even strokes to remove dust and other contaminants.
  • Ad

• Don't apply excess pressure or scrub at your screen, as this could seriously damage your picture, and can even lead to dead or burnt-out pixels. When you've finished cleaning, carefully dry the screen using a soft, lint-free cloth. Never use a dirty cleaning cloth.
  • www.cnet.com/.../

What can I clean my computer screen with?

By ellen tinder from Holden, MO

Answers

Ideally use water and a cotton cloth. I think there is a monitor cleaner on the market but with anything besides water you take the chance of creating a film. If there is something particular on your screen that won't come off with water you can try a QTip with some cleaner like Windex on it. But only use that for small spots.

Windex has worked really well for all our TVs and monitors.

Anonymous

I used distilled vinegar. Be sure to uplug the monitor first when cleaning with anything fluid to be on the safe side so no components get fried. :-)

I use a micro cloth barely damp with warm water.

1/2 purified water and 1/2 rubbing alcohol, mix and use a very soft cotton cloth or old cotton sox. Dampen the cloth and rub gently on the screen, in straight sweeps. It works and the screen is clean. Dry with a dry part of the cloth.

How do I remove hair spray from my LCD TV screen?

By Sherry Murdock from Provo, UT

Answers

I believe LCD screens are made of plastic and hairspray has alcohol in it, alcohol etches into plastic, I am not sure it can be helped. This is why manufacturers recommend not using anything on the screens except a dry cloth or a cloth slightly moistened with water.

OK check this site out:
http://answers.  727212317AAHCPrR

Used SEE THROO digital screen cleaner using a microfiber cloth.

Got rid of the hairspray residue!!!!!

Did not damage the LCD SCREEN AT ALL

What's the best way to clean the screen of a flat screen TV?

By Kathy George

Answers

Mine came with a soft cloth to wipe the dust from the surface.

First dust with the cloth that comes with your tv. Any baby or anyone's fingerprints left behind, get some rubbing plain alcohol and purified water. Dampen the paper towels (the best I found are VIVA* paper towels) lightly with the alcohol water mix, yes, very lightly apply and rub (again, very lightly) the screen where the prints are, then dry with a clean end of the paper towel. I have had no problem. If no fingerprints, I just give it a once over with plain water, have fun.

I have a 46 inch big screen that we recently purchased from a newspaper ad. It has 3 stains on the bottom left side and I don't know what it is. Everything I've tried (nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, etc.) doesn't seem to work. You can feel it if you rub your finger on it, but nothing comes off if you use your nails. If anyone has any ideas they'd be appreciated!

Kristina

Answers

By Memere (Guest Post)

They may not be stains at all. My daughter was a cable tech for years and said that if a channel with some sort of logo is on the screen for extended periods of time, the "logo" or parts of it can actually "burn" onto your screen. This is permanent and cannot be removed. Hope this is not your problem, but you never know.