Cleaning a TV Screen

Category Electronics
Oops, your child just used permanent marker to draw on the TV screen. This is a guide about cleaning a TV screen.

To erase permanent magic marker from a LCD screen I found that the best thing that worked for me was GooGone. My three year old grandson drew on my TV with a red sharpie and I was just livid since I'm still paying for this big screen TV.

Source: my neighbor

By janders45 from Coffeyville, KS

What can I clean my computer screen with?

By Ellen from Holden, MO

Answers

Ideally use water and a cotton cloth. I think there is a monitor cleaner on the market but with anything besides water you take the chance of creating a film. If there is something particular on your screen that won't come off with water you can try a QTip with some cleaner like Windex on it. But only use that for small spots.

Windex has worked really well for all our TVs and monitors.

Anonymous

I used distilled vinegar. Be sure to uplug the monitor first when cleaning with anything fluid to be on the safe side so no components get fried. :-)

I use a micro cloth barely damp with warm water.

1/2 purified water and 1/2 rubbing alcohol, mix and use a very soft cotton cloth or old cotton sox. Dampen the cloth and rub gently on the screen, in straight sweeps. It works and the screen is clean. Dry with a dry part of the cloth.

My question is how to clean the screen of a flat screen TV in a home where there is a smoker (make that heavy smoker!) The instructions say use only the anti-static cloth lightly dampened. I just do not think that's gonna do the trick. Help please!

By aligirl from Hudson Valley, NY

Answers

Regular window cleaner or citrus based surface cleaner works fine. Turn it off and let it cool, then lighlty mist it and let it soak for a minute or two, then mist it again and wipe it with a clean micro-fiber cloth or well washed old t-shirt.

If you treat it with the same respect as coated eyeglasses or camera lenses, it will be fine. The coating on it is the same.

If you need to dull the screen, so that it does not reflect the kitchen light or the window as much, THEN use the cloth without wetting the screen.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://webby.com/humor/blog

I just bought a new flat screen and the directions say do not use Windex or any cleaner with ammonia as an ingredient. I says it will fry the circuitry behind the screen. I would use a microfiber cloth dampened with vinegar or Pledge makes a Multi Surface spray and it also comes in package wet wipes. I buy the wipes as I can keep them in the cabinet under my tv. Also the Pledge wipes have an anti static ingredient which repels dust. It says right on the package it's safe for electronics!
http://www.pled  surface-cleaner/

Try isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It is the main ingredient in the monitor and TV cleaning sprays. Just us a soft microfiber cloth and be careful not to scratch the surface.

Here is an eHow link for cleaning them or you can do a google search for "cleaning flat screen tv" :
http://www.ehow  t-screen-tv.html

Anonymous

I don't have a flat screen TV but I have a flat screen monitor. I unplug the monitor and clean with distilled vinegar with a soft cloth and have never had a problem. P.S. it's bad enough for someone to smoke and even worse to smoke inside. Nasties build up on everything including walls, windows and even clothes and linens in closed closets! And let's not forget to mention lungs :-(

Anonymous

I used a 2oz spray bottle 2 drops of Dawn dish detergent and filled with warm water. Spray over Tv and quickly but lightly not much pressure using microfiber cloth rub in circular motion to clean then on dry side of cloth gently like buff motion the screen and Tadaaaaa!! The Tv should look shiney and new no smudges or smears.

Anonymous

What can remove cigarette smoke from a flat screen TV

Light dishwashing liquid... not detergent... mixed with water in a spray bottle.

After unplugging your TV, spray the mix onto a microfiber cloth. NEVER spray anything directly onto your TV, and don't use vinegar or alcohol or anything other than this mix.

Buff in a side to side motion. If your flat screen is very large, you'll have to wipe in sections, and depending on the level of nicotine residue it may take you several times until your cloth turns up clean.

Anonymous

Keep that opinion to yourself, it's not home their smoking in. They just wanted to know how to clean something. Not your opinion on their smoking habits.

Keep that opinion to yourself, it's not your home their smoking in. They just wanted to know how to clean something. Not your opinion on their smoking habits.

What's the best way to clean the screen of a flat screen TV?

By K G

Answers

Mine came with a soft cloth to wipe the dust from the surface.

First dust with the cloth that comes with your tv. Any baby or anyone's fingerprints left behind, get some rubbing plain alcohol and purified water. Dampen the paper towels (the best I found are VIVA* paper towels) lightly with the alcohol water mix, yes, very lightly apply and rub (again, very lightly) the screen where the prints are, then dry with a clean end of the paper towel. I have had no problem. If no fingerprints, I just give it a once over with plain water, have fun.

How do I remove hair spray from my LCD TV screen?

By Sherry from Provo, UT

Answers

I believe LCD screens are made of plastic and hairspray has alcohol in it, alcohol etches into plastic, I am not sure it can be helped. This is why manufacturers recommend not using anything on the screens except a dry cloth or a cloth slightly moistened with water.

OK check this site out:
http://answers.  727212317AAHCPrR

I have a 46 inch big screen that we recently purchased from a newspaper ad. It has 3 stains on the bottom left side and I don't know what it is. Everything I've tried (nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, etc.) doesn't seem to work. You can feel it if you rub your finger on it, but nothing comes off if you use your nails. If anyone has any ideas they'd be appreciated!

Kristina

Answers

They may not be stains at all. My daughter was a cable tech for years and said that if a channel with some sort of logo is on the screen for extended periods of time, the "logo" or parts of it can actually "burn" onto your screen. This is permanent and cannot be removed. Hope this is not your problem, but you never know.