Save Plant Instructions

Every season I find myself going to the internet to see which trees and shrubs should be pruned and when. I ran off a copy from one site, but it didn't cover all the different plants I have. Today I purchased some of the "dried out," and reduced perennials at Lowe's to add to my landscaping.

As I was reading the maintenance instructions, I had an idea that I can't believe I haven't thought of before. I have several of those old photo albums that I never used and never will for photographs because they aren't the ones which are now appropriate for photo storage. Rather than throw them away, I am going to start taking the little instruction guides that come with the plants and keep them all in there.

That way I'll have a handy reference with a picture of the mature plant. I have stuck some of them down beside plants when I first planted them, but they don't hold up to the wind and weather very well and they're not as accessible as these will be. Hope someone else may find this idea to be useful.

Happy gardening!

By Sandy from Elon, NC

I like this idea. At the moment, I have a pinboard in the garage where I stick the labels. I have a few small albums with pockets where I can pop in the labels and still be able to read both sides! Then I can take them indoors, too, and look at them! Thanks

Great idea! Now when I garage sale, I will look for something inexpensive since all my pictures are digital now and I don't have any albums. Thanks for the tip!

A great idea, thanks for the tip

A while ago I attended a lecture by Penn State Master Gardener Rebecca Ryan from Warren, PA, on keeping a garden journal. She taped the plastic ID tag from each plant to a piece of 8.5x11 paper, along with a photo and planting date of the new item. She put the paper in a plastic sleeve in a 3-ring binder. As time went on, she could add progress notes and photos of the plant, and describe any diseases, disturbances, or insect pests and what she did about them--along with anything else she wanted to remember. At any time she had a complete history of all her trees, shrubs, and perennials, and even photos of annuals and how well they worked (or not) in a given location. She said there's a little time investment getting up to speed, but once the notebook is "going," it's very easy to keep it current. :-) Sarsi

What a good idea, I'm going to use it.

Great idea! And a photo of the plant would also be helpful in the album along with the instructions.

A female gardener wearing a green apron.
Gardening Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsMay 18, 2009
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
electrician working on breaker box
Installing a New Circuit Breaker
Gardening Advice
🎉
🎄