Cleaning Fingernails After Gardening

Category Helpful Hints
This is a guide about cleaning fingernails after gardening. When you get your hands in the soil without gloves, the dirt under your nails can be a challenge to remove.

I hate how dirt gets under my nails when I garden. No matter how hard I try, I couldn't get all the dirt out from under my nails. Then I discovered the dish sprayer from the kitchen sink. A few seconds squirting directly under the nails, and all the dirt is gone. And it feels good.

By Kathleen from Reno, NV

Even if you wear gardening gloves your hands and fingernails get ingrained with dirt that is hard to remove.

So, before you put your gloves on, scratch a dampened bar of soap. Don't worry if the soap falls out of your nails as you do your gardening, there will still be enough soapiness under them to make this work.

When you clean your hands later, simply add a little more soap to your nailbrush and the dirt will easily wash away. See my left hand with not a stain in sight.

Most soils are alkaline so just as an extra measure to counteract this and to help prevent your skin and nails becoming dry course and brittle, add a little vinegar, lemon juice or other acidic foodstuff to a bowl of water for a final rinse.

This is a guide about preventing dirt from getting under your fingernails. Even if you wear gardening gloves, dirt often gets under your nails as you work.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes