Gardening Tips and Tricks

Category Miscellaneous
Even the most experienced gardener, in addition to being able to offer advice, can be open to new ideas and tips from fellow gardening enthusiasts. This is a guide about gardening tips and tricks.

Every season I find myself going to the internet to see which trees and shrubs should be pruned and when. I ran off a copy from one site, but it didn't cover all the different plants I have. Today I purchased some of the "dried out," and reduced perennials at Lowe's to add to my landscaping.

As I was reading the maintenance instructions, I had an idea that I can't believe I haven't thought of before. I have several of those old photo albums that I never used and never will for photographs because they aren't the ones which are now appropriate for photo storage. Rather than throw them away, I am going to start taking the little instruction guides that come with the plants and keep them all in there.

That way I'll have a handy reference with a picture of the mature plant. I have stuck some of them down beside plants when I first planted them, but they don't hold up to the wind and weather very well and they're not as accessible as these will be. Hope someone else may find this idea to be useful.

Happy gardening!

By Sandy from Elon, NC

When they are on sale, I buy arches for the garden. They are made of metal tubes that you put together for an arch about 6 feet tall and wide enough to walk through. Well, I set them up in a row, all facing the same direction, each one about two feet from the next, so that they form a kind of tunnel. I usually make the tunnel about 10 feet long.

At the base of each arch, I plant seeds for vining vegetables like beans or summer squash. In between each arch, I plant things like herbs and lettuces that won't mind shady spots once the vines grow. The vines will grow up the arches and then cover the whole sides and tops, creating a leafy arbor that is really very attractive. The vegetables (I've done several varieties of green beans, and Italian zucchini) hang down into the tunnel. Growing up off the ground like this, they stay very clean, and never get soggy after heavy rain. They also seem to stay pest free, since I never have problems with bug bites. And, in really hot summers, the vegetables never get sun-burned.

At harvest time, I take garden scissors, a step-stool, and a large basket with me. I get great harvests with this method. The vegetables hanging down are easy to see, just waiting there to be taken, and it's nice and cool in the shade. An added bonus is that I can harvest lettuce later in the summer than usual (lettuces don't usually like the sun and heat). This method saves space, is very attractive, and seems to produce the best harvests.

By schyresti from North Royalton, OH

You can keep an outdoor faucet or pump from turning the surrounding area to mud, if you dig out a hole beneath the water spout and replace the soil with rocks or gravel.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

I have a passion for gardening, but am always frustrated that garden accessories, like good tools, are so expensive. The other day I was planting some herb seeds and trying hard to get out all the small rocks out of the dirt. The more I raked the more I found, but so many just went through the tines of the rake. I thought to myself, "there must be a better way," and then I thought of my plastic cat "pooper scooper". It worked like a charm and I wondered why I had never thought of using it as a garden tool before! So now my seeds can grow without competing with so many little pea shaped stones.

By Maggie from North Springfield, VT

When doing yard work or picking up litter, I use garden gloves from Lowe's or Home Depot. Being that I am right handed, I wear out a lot of the right hand gloves and accumulate many left hand gloves that are still perfectly good. To make a pair of gloves out of left hand gloves, I just turn one inside out and I have a right hand glove.

I have done this with rubber gloves several times, but this is the first year I have used a wrong side out garden glove. This summer, I found it to be very comfortable and much cooler than having the cotton on the inside.

It's yard work time! Let's also work together to get our roadsides cleaned up for the winter months. Get a pair of garden gloves. They are much better for picking up litter than rubber gloves. They protect your hands from sharp objects where rubber gloves don't and you will find that they are very comfortable.

By Litter Gitter from NC

I have found that the more I work a garden, the less yield I get.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Grab some freebies from your garden for next year. I pick off dried marigold flowers and save in a paper bag (labeled) to plant next year. Each dried flower contains tons of seeds! Also, you can root sprigs of rosemary and impatiens in water and keep in a sunny window, to plant next year.

I'm not stingy. If I had all the money I've given to people in need, I could take a nice trip abroad. Still, I find watching pennies while gardening to really pay off in the long run.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

A handy and step-saving device for gardening is an apron. Buy or make one with large, deep pockets. They're great for holding seedlings, seed packets, small trowels, and other tools.

To keep from getting splinters, use the fingers of old rubber gloves for handle covers on hoes, rakes, brooms, and mops. Tape with black electrical tape, so it won't slip off.

Tips to keep flowers blooming. Post your ideas.

The other day at a farm I saw a wheelbarrow with bicycle training wheels on it. It wouldn't turn quite as sharply around corners, but it was much more difficult to tip over.

This is a guide about cleaning fingernails after gardening. When you get your hands in the soil without gloves, the dirt under your nails can be a challenge to remove.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Keep an eye out for an old toy wagon at garage sales. They can be useful for pulling around your garden tools and keeping them together.

This is a guide about reusing tree stumps. Tree stumps either still in the ground or after being removed can be used for a variety of crafts or garden decorations and planters.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about staking garden plants. There are a number of plants that need help with support when newly transplanted or bearing fruit.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Organize your gardening with friends. You plant the tomatoes, she plants the zucchini-then you share the bounty. Next year switch so you don't deplete the soil.

Ever wonder what the temperature is?