My Frugal Life: Independence!

Hello everyone and welcome to MY essay regarding frugal living! I was once employed for, what I thought, to be a career to which I could retire one day. My Frugal Life Unfortunately, things did not work out for me that way.

I started my own business when I lost my 13+ year job and learned to be "frugal" in means of living. I had to move 6 times within 7 years and, luckily, I managed. To this day, I shop at thrift stores where I can get name brand clothes and other items cheaply. I also go on craigslist and get directions to yard sales, which again, I can reap treasures! I often buy cheap furniture, repaint it, and sell it.

I have, in no means, accomplished the money I use to make. However, sometimes doing the things you enjoy and knowing "you are your own boss" helps you to live your life fully. I do wish and hope that my company or my painting takes off some day, but until then, I will keep calm in my heart knowing I am doing something for ME for a change.

I once read somewhere, "It isn't about being afraid of the thunderstorm, it is about learning how to dance in the rain".

I lost both my parents by the age of 36 and I lost myself for the most part as well. It is comforting to know that I have not lost what they taught me. Independence!

Thank you Mom and Dad, for without you, I would not be where I am.

By Erin from Raleigh, NC

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

There is another form to independence as well. I keep telling my grandkids that before people get into a "significant" other type relationship, where they might live together, they should live independently for some time, so that they learn how to become independent adults, instead of depending on another adult for help, all the time.

So very true! I wish more people would live by these guidelines as well. You're teaching your grandchildren a huge valuable lesson that will be with them forever, redhatter. :o)

Frugal hugs & blessings to you & yours.

chicky-boom-boom

Thank you Erin,

A great story to which I totally agree.

Thumbs up.

Pookarina

I read your story to my Hubby! We are so proud of you. Not owing anybody anything, good for you! No, great

for you! Your Parents would be proud. God bless and take care.

Cold chills! Bless you!

Erin, I never had the chance to know my Dad, and I lost my Mom on Christmas Day 2008. The loss of my Mom was deep, but you are right that their legacy lives on through you and your dreams. God Bless you and may He continue to give you success.

Thanks for sharing, good luck with your company and painting.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJuly 19, 2010
Dog with an American flag.
Keeping Pets Safe on the 4th of July
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎄
🍂