Handy Tote

A handy tote can be made to carry any number of things. If you have a heavy object to lift, but you can't get a good grip on it, the weight can be distributed between two people, as my husband and I found out the day we moved a concrete bird bath.

Materials:

• strong material such as denim
  • sewing machine
  • two broom handles (or similar doweling)

Instructions

The tote can be made any size you want, but I found 42 inches long by 24 inches wide was a handy size. Denim is a good choice and sturdy scraps from old jeans could be pieced together and double stitched for strength.

1. Cut the material as shown.
  2. Turn under long edges and hem.
  3. Reinforce the U-shaped cutouts with 2 inch bias binding (cut diagonally from the denim.) Double stitch.
  4. Fold short ends of tote over to form loops big enough to slide broom handles through. Double stitch seam, and back stitch at the ends, as this is where the tote is most apt to tear.

Great idea! This is such a handy tool to use outdoors. I commend you on your idea. I use a larger plastic bin that I carry as I do smaller prunning jobs around the yard. I keep it sitting near by all the time. Then dump when full. I also use a smaller one in the wheel barrow to keep my tools and gloves in so I don't accidently throw them out with the trash in the wheel barrow. I'm done that several times. This way they stay separate and won't get lost.

Denim Fabric Tote
Making a Fabric Tote
Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 30, 2009
An array of neckties.
Making a Tree Skirt with Neckties
Homemade Tote Ideas
Homemade Tote Ideas
Recycle Tote Bag
Decorating Tote Bags
Working on a Crocheted Tote Bag
Making a Crocheted Tote Bag
🎉
🎄