Cleaning Carpets Without a Machine

By Pattie MacKinnon 4 1

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can clean my carpet, and spots with one of the homemade cleaners you suggested, BUT without a carpet shampooer and machine?

Clanmackinnon from Buffalo, NY

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

depending on how dirty your carpets are, you can actually damp mop them. a good sponge mop or a cotton mop wrung out well, with a solution of hot water and baking soda or borateem works well for a quick pick me up. otherwise its hands and knees and a scrub brush and blotting rags (by the bushel) and a lot of huffing and puffing (for out of shape people like me anyway) in very small areas, take as little water on your brush as you can and scrub a small spot. blot with an old towel or rag. and move on to the next spot. tough stains may take more water or scrubbing. maybe even a tiny dab of dishwashing liquid. this would have to be rinsed off or it will dry sticky. another way is a spray bottle of alcohol. spritz a small area, scrub with a rag and go on to the next spot. check for colorfastness in a small area first. if you have organic stains (like food) spray them with peroxide before starting. good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marnita Arner 14 33 Flag

This isn't homemade; however, we have used a carpet cleaning product called "CAPTURE". We buy it at Lowe's Home Improvement stores, and I believe that Home Depot carries it too. It is a slightly wet cleaning powder that you sprinkle onto your carpet and work it in with a broom (you can use your own, or CAPTURE sells one with the product). Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then using your own vacuum, vacuum it up. They also sell a spray bottle of stain remover that you spray on the heavy carpet stains before you use the powder. The end result is clean and fresh smelling carpet. Good Luck!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The before mentioned methods of using Capture, Resolve, etc do work. Also using a mop or brush, then blotting up the moisture with rags works better than you might expect. Ammonia, shampoo, dishwashing liquid, Simple Green, are all good cleaners, and using vinegar to rinse removes the soap residue and odors, and lifts up the nap. Do not use Peroxide or enzzymes on rugs of natural fiber, as silk or wool. You will be surprised at how good you can make it look and feel.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have a small handheld steam machine. Would this work on carpet stains? Thanks, J

Editor's Note: It should work fine on any food stains.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

When my brother in law visited last, my 3 year old son spilled orange pop on my white carpet (I freaked), bu the poured a little hot water on it, took a towel and covered the spot and used a reagular vaccum hose attachment over the towel so that the liguid was sucked into the towel. It worked better than anything, there was never a stain, and it was finished in under 3 minutes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Cleaning Your Carpet Without a Machine
Cleaning Your Carpet Without a Machine
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJune 29, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Cleaning Your Carpet Without a Machine
Cleaning Your Carpet Without a Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 5:42:30 PM on 10.0.0.218 in 994 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings