Cleaning Carpets Without a Machine

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can clean my carpet, and spots with one of the homemade cleaners you suggested, BUT without a carpet shampooer and machine?

Clanmackinnon from Buffalo, NY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

depending on how dirty your carpets are, you can actually damp mop them. a good sponge mop or a cotton mop wrung out well, with a solution of hot water and baking soda or borateem works well for a quick pick me up. otherwise its hands and knees and a scrub brush and blotting rags (by the bushel) and a lot of huffing and puffing (for out of shape people like me anyway) in very small areas, take as little water on your brush as you can and scrub a small spot. blot with an old towel or rag. and move on to the next spot. tough stains may take more water or scrubbing. maybe even a tiny dab of dishwashing liquid. this would have to be rinsed off or it will dry sticky. another way is a spray bottle of alcohol. spritz a small area, scrub with a rag and go on to the next spot. check for colorfastness in a small area first. if you have organic stains (like food) spray them with peroxide before starting. good luck

This isn't homemade; however, we have used a carpet cleaning product called "CAPTURE". We buy it at Lowe's Home Improvement stores, and I believe that Home Depot carries it too. It is a slightly wet cleaning powder that you sprinkle onto your carpet and work it in with a broom (you can use your own, or CAPTURE sells one with the product). Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then using your own vacuum, vacuum it up. They also sell a spray bottle of stain remover that you spray on the heavy carpet stains before you use the powder. The end result is clean and fresh smelling carpet. Good Luck!!

The before mentioned methods of using Capture, Resolve, etc do work. Also using a mop or brush, then blotting up the moisture with rags works better than you might expect. Ammonia, shampoo, dishwashing liquid, Simple Green, are all good cleaners, and using vinegar to rinse removes the soap residue and odors, and lifts up the nap. Do not use Peroxide or enzzymes on rugs of natural fiber, as silk or wool. You will be surprised at how good you can make it look and feel.

I have a small handheld steam machine. Would this work on carpet stains? Thanks, J

Editor's Note: It should work fine on any food stains.

When my brother in law visited last, my 3 year old son spilled orange pop on my white carpet (I freaked), bu the poured a little hot water on it, took a towel and covered the spot and used a reagular vaccum hose attachment over the towel so that the liguid was sucked into the towel. It worked better than anything, there was never a stain, and it was finished in under 3 minutes.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Cleaning Your Carpet Without a Machine
Cleaning Your Carpet Without a Machine
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJune 29, 2006
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Man Steam Cleaning a Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet Cleaning
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 8:58:03 AM on 10.0.1.163 in 945 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.