Fridge With a Wide Shelf

A few years back I saw a side by side refrigerator with an extra wide shelf in the top for pizza boxes in the fridge section. This shelf took away space from the top of the freezer, leaving it in the shape of a capital L.

I am beginning to look at replacement fridges. A google search turned up nothing. Neither did a visit to an appliance store. My guess is that if they didn't offer that model, they weren't going to be of any help.

Does any one know which brand offered this feature?

Holly from Richardson, TX

I purchased a Maytag Plus wide-by-side about 4 years ago. I chose this maker/model because I wanted the features of a side-by-side (ice & water in the door mainly) but it needed to be able to hold a pizza box so I took the measurements of a Costco pizza box with me when I went shopping and this was the only 'fridge on the market that could satisfy both of my requirements without having to get into the professtional brands and prices.

With taxes and delivery I paid approx. $1500.00 at Bestbuy.

The top half of the 'fridge is extra wide and the bottom is the standard side-by-side widith. The freeze obviously mirrors this.

While I've been happy with the dimentions of the box I have been unhappy with the durability of the overall appliance.

Most of the shelf support posts that were actually part of the molded sides have broken off and are not replaceable. The fingerprint free coating on the outside of the fridge is starting to bubble underneath the water/ice dispenser tray. The ice door has broken twice, this time it is the sensor so that in order to stop the flow of ice I must open the freezer door to trigger the interrupt switch and finally, we're heavy ice users and about once a year, for some reason the ice maker will freeze mid cycle and have to be defrosted so that it can work again.

That has been my experience with this product. Again, it is about 4 years old so maybe the company has worked these bugs out.

I hated side by side refrigerators and went with a bottom mount freezer and it is easier to keep clean. The freezer door swings out like the top and the drawers pull out.

Please look into this type.

We have a Kitchenaid Superba side by side fridge whose supporting pegs break off, too. It ran me $100+ to replace the top frame of the veggie crisper bin with space for the rollers. :(

I wanted to be able to look into this because we may be faced with a size issue (otherwise I'd head directly for the double wide and not look back).

Thank you for the input.

I love the features of the side by side but hate that you can't fit anything wide in the freezer so i just went out and bought a upright freezer and sloved the issues and have the best of both worlds..

We bought the Maytag Wide by Side probably about 4 years ago too, and it is not impressive!...what a waste of money! A couple of the wire shelves have come out in the freezer and I can't get them back in...it is like the inside of the freezer has expanded and the shelves aren't wide enough. The water dispenser dispenses ROOM TEMP water unless you run it for awhile (our previous fridge was a GE, and had the water and ice in the door, and we always had nice cold water immediately). The water dispenser drips from what looks like a crack somewhere. We take really good care of our appliances.

The replacement filter for the water costs between $35 and $50, and needs to be replaced each year.

You cannot dispense water and open the fridge (the water dispenser is in the freezer door.) And I think the water dispenses slowly.

The fridge temp controls seem very tempermental, and much of my produce/eggs get frozen in the fridge (even after the Maytag repairman explained the temp control thing to me.) The seal around the doors and the exterior sides get VERY HOT, hot enough that it would hurt little ones...I mentioned this to the repairman, and he said that is how it is suppose to be.

We were just at Lowe's last night and we were talking with the mgr of the appliance dept about different brands. I mentioned our less than impressive experience with Maytag (Neptune washer & dryer) and this Wide by Side refrigerator....he said that Lowe's (at least his location) quit carrying the Maytag Wide by Side because of all of the complaints.

Be warned and beware.

RE: Speed at which water comes out of the dispenser. I thought my fridge water was slow, so DH did something (I don't know what) and now the water comes out faster. Had something to do with turning a lever, knob or faucet.

I asked him how he fixed it. He said, "Pressure on the back side, turning a faucet."

I recall that he upped it too much, at first, so test before you push the fridge back into position!

The new french door style refrigerators have a lot more space than the side by side refrigerators. LG makes a great refrigerator. It also comes with water and ice dispenser on the door. Gary Dominicus

Gary: Does the ice become packed down in the holder? Which model do you have?

Consumer Advice Product Reviews Kitchen RefrigeratorsJune 27, 2007
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Whole limes and limes cut in half.
Storing Limes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎄