Growing Concord Grapes from Cuttings

I want to take some cuttings from a very healthy, old (100 yrs), and family grown Concord grape vine in the western, PA area for planting in my south Charlotte yard. I have a lot of room in the back yard (1/2 acre facing southeast) with direct sun and partial shade areas in the open or next to a brick wall. Any suggestions on the best location? I understand Concord grapes may not be the first pick for this area, but I wanted to give it a try. Thanks!

By Douglas from Charlotte, NC

Please check with your state agriculture department for rules on bringing in plant material from other states. There may be some disease/insect issues going on that you aren't aware of. If they are ok with it, you might try taking several cuttings and peeling off the bottom several leaves, sticking the cuttings in a pot filled with good potting soil. Keep the soil moist, cross your fingers, and give it a go. If you get some of the rooting hormone powder to dip the cuttings in first, that often helps. Grapes are funny plants. If you want to kill them, you can't; if you want to get one going, it won't sometimes.

Concord Grapes
Growing Concord Grapes
Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsJanuary 6, 2011
Grapes growing under a net to protect them from the birds.
Protecting Grapes from Birds
bowl of red, green, and black grapes
Pickled Grape Recipes
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings