Inexpensive Alternative To The Pooper Scooper

As pooper-scoopers are quite expensive, I found using a dust pan with a handle and a child's leaf rake (both items found in dollar stores) works really well. I now keep these by the front and back doors as well as the camper; and all for only $6 total.

By Betty from Slate Hill, NY

Why not use a 1/2 gal milk or juice container (cleaned of course) less expensive too.Leave cap on and cut from bottom to resemble a dust pan.

We did the same thing years ago when we used to breed poodles! Somewhere we found a small child's garden rake, with wide metal tines, & a child size dustpan. They were our scoopers for years, & worked better than a manufactured scooper we got later on, after the dustpan broke. We got another child's dustpan again & went back to using that & the rake.

I think the plastic milk or juice carton would be okay if you could attach a handle that would stay put. The idea is to use something with handles so that you don't have to bend over - to avoid stooping while scooping! :-)

I agree with PIxiedust7. The idea is not to have to stoop over to pick up the poopers. I love the idea of the child's rake and dust pan. I have 2 dachshunds and this will sure help with this chore! I recently bought a new pooper scooper because the old one broke. To the tune of over $20! I couldn't believe it! I'll definitely be getting a child's rake and dust pan!

Another thing I'm doing is I bought a small trash can with a step-on lid. I line it with plastic trash bags (putting the extras in the bottom of the can under the bag). I use this to dump the poopers into. When I'm done for the day I just tie the bag shut and put it in the larger outdoor trash can, then bring another bag up and line the can with it.

I also slide a roll of paper towels down the side between the bag and the inside of the can. This way if I have a pile that's wanting to stick to the scooper, I just pull off a paper towel or two and take care of it.

A dog owner cleaning up after a dog in the grass.
Cleaning Up After Your Dog
Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 25, 2006
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
One side removed making the crib into a day bed for a toddler.
Alternative Uses for a Crib
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Stick Deodorant
Alternative Uses for Stick Deodorants