Disconnecting a Beeping Smoke Detector Above the Drop Ceiling

I have read several threads discussing this topic and I understand the need to maintain home safety. However, my problem adds a new twist. I had a room added in the back of my lower level and the contractor put in a dropped plaster ceiling and covered up one of the smoke detectors.

The battery died and we can not access the detector to change the battery. I intend to place another detector in the vicinity of the nonaccessible detector, but need to somehow deactivate the one detector to stop the beeping without interfering with the operation of the remaining detectors. Can someone offer a solution?

By Rich from Vandalia, MI

Answers

It sounds like the contractor goofed up. I would call him/her to come back out and do whatever it takes (at their expense) to cut the ceiling, take down the smoke detector, and replace that part of the ceiling.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricMarch 29, 2010
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 7:13:23 PM on 10.0.2.237 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.