The Gift of Soup!

I have several people I wanted to get Christmas gifts for, but no $ to buy anything fancy. So I made some homemade dry soup that is practical and inexpensive. I even created my own label!

• Empty jars with lids
  • Dry soup mixture, such as lentils, split peas, rice, alphabet letters, dried carrots, etc.
  • Homemade labels and tape/glue

The whole project cost me about $5-10 and I was able to make 6 jars of dry soup!

By Carrie from Yakima, WA

Here's a sample of the label I made for a personal touch.

Carrie, your label is so cute; what a nice finishing touch for your gifts. Did you create this label on your own or did you use some software or a download? Thank you for sharing your creative idea!

Yes, I agree! What a great idea and I would especially like to know about your labels. Did you find a website to personalize and print them out? Or did you use software? Does anyone else know of a good website to create your own free labels? Merry Christmas!

I agree, great idea and the label is darling...reminds me of the Campbell's labels!

I used my computer quite a bit to make little gifts for school staff and bus drivers. One thing I did was make these cute hot chocolate envelopes. A package of Swiss Miss fits perfectly inside ea one. All I had to do was print and then cut out and glue. I also made candy bar wrappers and wrappers to cover microwave popcorn. I had so many people who help my kids between teachers and therapists and I wanted to thank ea and every one of them. No one expects extravegent gifts, and I feel it's really the thought that counts. I just wanted to acknowledge them and thank them for all they do.

One year I did the soup mixes but put them in these pint or quart size freezer bags that sort of stand up and are taller rather than wide. I put on labels and tied with a twist tie but then covered with pretty ribbon. Those worked out well and then I didn't need to buy or save jars.

Maybe you will share with us how you made your cute label!

Merry Christmas,

What a great gift idea! I know i'd be thrilled with something like that! Thanks for sharing it. Merry Christmas!

Making Dry Soup in a Jar Mixes
Crafts Gifts Gift MixesDecember 19, 2006
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup