Swimming With Strep Throat?

Is it OK for my daughter go swimming in the pool with strep throat? She's been on antibiotics for 3 days now.

Jennifer from Toms River, NJ

Yes, after 24 hours on antib's the child is no longer contageous. Enjoy the pool!

Yes. They are no longer contagious AFTER being on antibiotics for 24 FULL hours.

It depends on the type antibiotic she is taking as to whether she should be out in the sun.Some of them make you sensitive to the sunlight and can cause a very nasty sunburn.

I would think that if your daughter is not running a fever, her throat doesn't hurt and she is on the anitbiotics, she could swim as long as she doesn't get a chill. But to be safe, I truly think you should call the doctor's office to ask.

would you want to swim with some kid who had strep throat?

Just because a child FEELS and LOOKS better does NOT mean they are NOT contageous. It usually means in the beginning that the RX they took may have helped them with the SYMPTOMS, but too many doctors say things are not contageous which ARE. WhY? Either they are taught wrong, are taught

purposefully to say so, but either way, they GET PAID MORE THE SICKER THE PUBLIC! Keep this in mind, no matter how GREAT the doctor seems. Also,

why take chances? Better safe than sorry. Just wait the ten days and a few baths/teeth washings, so that you are fully considerate of others before exposing them to your mucous, ESPECIALLY IN THE POOL, regardless of any chemicals added. Also, she

can catch viruses that are NOT suseptible to the RX which cured/helped with the Strep. Each illness origin

source must be tested/treated with the proper RX,

antibiotics, to be certain it gets gone. Public pools are full of the worst bacteria than one can imagine.

However, LAKE water is the absolute WORST for catching something, because the bacteria count is so high. Just use courtesy and common sense. Don't contaminate someone because you HOPE you are totally well. Make certain, then relax. This is the true

meaning of "Do unto others as you would have them to do unto you."=the Golden Rule. God bless you. : )

my daughter and son just started to say theyhave a sore throat very minor do u think that if they went swimming today that it would get worse

StepThroat is contagious. It stops being contagious 24 hours after taking the Anti-Biotics. I just learned that today from the emergency room. Yes, I have it. Ouch! :(

I find it interesting that I came across this as my son is on antibiotics for strep and asked to go swimming in our personal pool the day he started his meds. and I absolutely said no way. I told him he will have to wait till he is on the meds. longer and doing better. Sometimes it is not easy being a parent, we say no when we want to say yes to protect our kids even when they don't act sick.

Health & Beauty AdviceJune 27, 2007
A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
hot tea
Remedies for a Burned Throat
Above Ground  Swimming Pool
Saving Energy on Swimming Pools
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools