Housebreaking Problems with a Pomeranian

This is a guide about housebreaking problems with a Pomeranian. Not all dogs understand that they need to relieve themselves outside, and need some creative encouragement.

We have two puppies, one Sheltie and one Pomeranian. Both were acquired on the same day. The Sheltie understands to do his business outside, but the Pomeranian just can't get it about peeing inside versus taking it outside. He has the pooping down.

We have tried crate training, taking him out constantly, praising when he does go outside, getting up at 2:00 in the morning for 5 weeks now, etc.

Suggestions?
Janyes

Best Answer

Dogs will not use the bathroom where they must eat. If he has a favorite area he likes to tinkle in, try putting his food bowl there. You are doing correctly by taking him out first thing in the am, after every drink or meal, and before bed at night, in addition to several opportunities thru out the day. You may wind up moving the food bowl to a few different locations before he stops, but keep trying. You might also try a sml snack in addition to the praise just after he goes outside. Good luck!!! bbb

Best Answer

Poms are a finicky breed, they usually like to stay clean. I have five pomeranians, Males are the hardest to train as they like to leave Pee-mail if they have not been fixed. Keep them in rooms without carpets as they don't like to get their feet wet. They tend to have more accidents in inclement weather. They like their routines so be consistent in their routines Puppy pads on a hard surfaced floor help. A carpet is the preferred place of relief for them as it does not splatter on their feet. Train them on hard surfaced floors if possible until they learn their routine. If they have an accident, turn the pad upside down to absorb the urine and clean the spot good on the floor. save the puppy pad so the pom will smell the urine and use it the next time . After a while , he will prefer it to the hard surface. Another tip, buy under pads made for people at the warehouse stores as they are less expensive and larger.

Dogs do not like the smell of vinegar. Put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray whatever you don't want them to urinate on or chew up. Spray corners of furniture or drapes if you have an unfixed male. If they chew your shoes spray them daily until they loose interest in them. If this information helps one pom owner to appreciate this breed, the rewards will well be worth the effort.

Best Answer

As far as playing around goes when you take your pom outside. Keep saying go potty and don't play with them just stand there. Be persistent and if you have a fenced yard go back in the house leaving the dog outside. They don't like that. Then after a couple of minutes go back out with him and take him to the same spot and tell him again "go potty" keep doing this and when they do go potty let them back into the house. They want to be inside with you and when they see going potty will give that reward they will go as soon as you take them out if they truly have to go.

My little boy goes immediately once outside but he won't go unless I am out there with him. I can't just kick him outside and shut the door. That doesn't work. He will become less clingy once he gets more secure with the fact you will be there when he is done. My older female used to be the same way but now she is happy to go out on her own. Like I said before....lots of love, patience and persistence and in time you will have the love of your life living in your home.

Anonymous

I'm sorry I don't agree with moving the food my pom just goes everywhere he doesn't care if its by his food or even where he sleeps.

I have a 14 month old pom, her names Happy she will use the paper most times after her first meal. But when I feed her the second meal in the evening ,she will hold it and poop in the crate at night. I have tried staying up until midnight and say to her "go potty, potty". she will look at me stand by her crate, we go to bed and in the morning she has poop in the crate. What should I do?

Get rid of this dog before your family gets attached. Ours is 9 yrs old. I can take him out, he will go, we come back in, he will look up at me and hike his leg on the recliner and look at me the whole time he pees. I dont know if they are just the dumbest dogs ever to exist (my thoughts) or if they are just super rebellious (also my thoughts). Maybe both. As others have said, he will pee and poop anywhere and everywhere. In his bed or next to his food. Today he literally left a trail of poop from one end of the kitchen to the other. He had about 2 yrs where he was "trained" then he went right back to it. My entire house smells because of him and after so many pees on furniture or carpeting where we dont see it to clean it. At this point, when he passes we need to replace so much in our home, we might be better off starting over. Furnitre carpet, floor, baseboards, vents, maybe even some walls...OHHHH EMMMM GEEEEEE. My mom, wanted him and I wouldnt let her have him because she is too old to deal with his issues. I always say he acts like a rebellious teenager...pure evil.

My Pom will go wherever for the most of it she does use pee pads or go outside but she will pee on the floor never will she poop on the floor I too have tried everything

I hear your pain. My husband bought a make pom for our 7 year old daughter. We have a very nice nice older dog and two super sweet cats. The Pom gets along well with the animals but is always going Cujo in my kids. My kids are gentle and respectful but this dog always bites and draws blood. He poops in my daughter's bedroom, pees on the walls, & pees on the floor if someone startles him. He is loving to the adults but we can't potty train him. It is the worst dog ever.

Anonymous

I live in apartments and crate training has saved my carpet. Dogs don't want to potty where they sleep, so if you crate train, they should hold it until they get out. Take them straight outside. Worst case scenario, he has some accidents he has to lay in for a bit.

I am getting my male pom fixed soon and hopefully that will fix his urinating and pooping inside the house issue. I don't know what else to do. He's 1 year old.

My Pom is now just over a year old and has not gotten the whole "only go outside" concept yet. He's kept in the kitchen when we're out or whatever. And he pees where he wants. I've read all sorts of articles and followed a bunch of plans and let him out often. I use the special sprays to clean up and the ones that are supposed to discourage peeing in certain places, but nothing has worked. He'll pee right next to his food without care. Sometimes we'll let him out for a few minutes. He uses the toilet and then comes in and pees right on the wall. He also seems to do it right after I clean it up and use the spray to remove the scent which makes me feel like it's a marking thing. It's super annoying and I'm getting tired of it. He's usually good when he's in the living room, but there's been a couple incidents that we caught and stopped right away. We got him at about 12 weeks and the owner said he was house trained, but what she meant was he was allowed to go in and out of the house as he pleased and he always was outside when he went to the toilet.

You need to take him to the vet to rule out any physical issues. If there are none, you might want to invest in a professional trainer.

Do you walk him on any sort of schedule? if not you should start. praise him when he goes outside and be with him, don't just let him out where you can't praise him right away