Frosting a Clear Shower Door

I have a clear glass shower door that has 25 years of lime, calcium, and soap scum markings that will not come off. I have tried 5 different products. Is there a product or way to "frost" clear glass with a spray or paint that will make it opaque (so as not to notice the spots)?

By Gail from Devon, PA

Call Home Depot or Lowes and ask someone.

The info I located said it has to be clean before painting or frosting,have you tried vinegar?Good luck.

All-Purpose Cleaner: Mix 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup baking soda (or 2 teaspoons borax) into 1/2 gallon (2 liters) water. Store and keep. Use for removal of water deposit stains on shower stall panels, bathroom chrome fixtures, windows, bathroom mirrors, etc.

Another alternative is microfiber cloths which lift off dirt, grease and dust without the need for cleaning chemicals, because they are formulated to penetrate and trap dirt. There are a number of different brands. A good quality cloth can last for several years. Good luck.

You could also ask Home Depot or Lowes about putting up window film on the outside of the doors. They come in assorted designs and I've done it in the past on large regular windows and it looked really nice, gave privacy and hid outside dirty windows ;-) It's tedious for a perfect job and I am not sure how much the materials cost these days but it does hold up well :-) All you need is the film, exacto knife or razor blade, squeege, and soap and water. Oh, and patience ;-)

Hope this helps.

Use Krylon frost spray paint on the outside of the door. I have a 2 story house next door and they can look down into my kitchen windows. I have shutters on the bottom and wanted to leave the top open for light but not eyes looking in. Works great.

Before you paint - have you tried The Works - you can get it at Dollar General for about a dollar. And it is wonderful! Let it set about 30 seconds to a minute and wipe clean. If you've got 25 years' worth, you may have to try it a couple of times.

If you try The Works Please open the window, turn on the fan. Or wait til warmer weather, and do it outside.

Wear gloves, don't splash it on yourself. Keep the kids and pets away.

If you live in an area where there are dairy farms, go to a farm supply store. They will have acids that are run through the milk bulk tanks. Let this acid stay on the surface for awhile before wiping or rinsing. With this also, BE SAFE. Wear gloves and AVOID breathing in the fumes.

Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomJanuary 24, 2010
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Vanilla frosting on a lemon layer cake.
Vanilla Frosting Recipes
🎄