Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Sticky Label Residue on Clothes

Does anyone know how I can remove the label glue from the inside of my shoe without ruining the material? Ross sticks their price tags on the inside of the shoe and I've peeled it off and attempted to get all the glue, but the glue inside still sticks to the bottom of my foot. Actually it's a sandal type shoe so I'm barefoot when wearing these shoes. Any suggestions?

By Diane from Sacramento, CA

By Vin [7]04/15/2010

Try rubbing an ice cube on it. This works in getting candle wax out of fabric. It works on some types of glue. If not, I would try a little alcohol on a cloth.

By Diane [1]04/11/2010

Well, because I'm new to this site, I didn't realize this question had been asked and answered so many times. Now that I'm getting around the site a little better, I see the answer to my question! Thank you to everyone for all of the great suggestions I found here. Diane

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Sticky Label Residue on Clothes

I need to know how to remove the sticky residue on jeans from the size label?

By nana2nath from New Castle, PA

RE: Removing Sticky Label Residue on Clothes

Yes, there is a product out there. You'll find it in the hardware store. It is a petroleum based product and extremely flammable. So if you smoke, be careful. "Goo Gone" is the name of the product. Use it before washing the jeans and use it sparingly. It works on any of the modern glues. (07/29/2009)

By quiltmum

Try using oil from the kitchen. It should "melt" away the stickiness. (07/29/2009)

By chickenparents

We use Lighter Fluid for removing labels from books and picture frames, test in a hidden spot first but this stuff really works. (07/31/2009)

By TerryR.

I use WD-40. Works well and will not stain. (07/31/2009)

By JUNKYMUNKY

How do I remove that sticky residue from a new shirt?

By johnnyd from Poplar, MT

Just use the label itself by touching the stickyness with the sticky side and pulling up repeatedly. Scotch tape used the same way will work. (09/22/2009)

By siris

How do I remove stubborn glue residue left on the fabric after removing a very gluey, sticky tape?

By Sukhi from Vancouver

When my kids were small and would get chewing gum stuck on their clothes or even in their hair, I would use just a small dab of peanut butter to get the sticky stuff off. It always worked like a charm. I am a bit hesitant about using on a brand new shirt as I'm not sure if oil from peanut butter will stain it, but perhaps someone else from Thrifty Fun family will know. (03/03/2010)

By Amy3e

Use the actual label as a touch and pull back glue remover. A piece of tape might work if the label is gone. Just keep touching the glue spots and pull away from the garment quickly. (03/04/2010)

By siris

I try it with a small drop of charcoal fuel on the area, then wash very well with warm soapy Dawn Liquid Detergent then rise very well in hot water. Then launder it in your washer. I have tried this and it works. Hope this helps.

Notice: use very little or it will take a long time to rise out the smell. (03/04/2010)

By Aldancer