Removing Sticky Label Residue on Clothing

Category Clothing
This is a guide about removing sticky label residue on clothing. A sticker on new or old clothes can leave a residue that can be a challenge to remove.

Does anyone know how I can remove the label glue from the inside of my shoe without ruining the material? Ross sticks their price tags on the inside of the shoe and I've peeled it off and attempted to get all the glue, but the glue inside still sticks to the bottom of my foot. Actually it's a sandal type shoe so I'm barefoot when wearing these shoes. Any suggestions?

By Diane from Sacramento, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Well, because I'm new to this site, I didn't realize this question had been asked and answered so many times. Now that I'm getting around the site a little better, I see the answer to my question! Thank you to everyone for all of the great suggestions I found here. Diane

Best Answer

Try rubbing an ice cube on it. This works in getting candle wax out of fabric.

It works on some types of glue. If not, I would try a little alcohol on a cloth.

I bought a girl's polyester vest and the manufacturer had put their brand sticker on the front of the vest. It has left a sticky circle approximately 1.5 in diameter. How can I remove the sticky patch without damaging the vest?
Thank you.

By Judy

Answers

Best Answer

Not sure if it will ruin the fabric, but nail varnish remover is usually good for getting rid of stitcky stuff.

My daughter came home recently with name tags on her t-shirt from a school project. I assumed she'd removed them before washing & drying however I just noticed the sticker goo is still on the thin t-shirt fabric. How can I safely remove this from these brand new shirts?

Melissa W.

Answers

Best Answer

I had the same problem a while back, only with a pair of soft cotton knit pants. I figured that I'd use my Goo-Gone to get the stuff off, and if it messed up the pants, it didn't matter since I wouldn't wear them the way they were. The Goo-Gone worked great and didn't leave a trace of itself on the pants. I've also tried lighter fluid when I ran out of Goo-Gone, with equally good results.

How do I remove stubborn glue residue left on the fabric after removing a very gluey, sticky tape?

By sukhi from Vancouver

Answers:

Removing Sticky Label Residue on Clothes

When my kids were small and would get chewing gum stuck on their clothes or even in their hair, I would use just a small dab of peanut butter to get the sticky stuff off. It always worked like a charm. I am a bit hesitant about using on a brand new shirt as I'm not sure if oil from peanut butter will stain it, but perhaps someone else from Thrifty Fun family will know. (03/03/2010)

By Amy3e

Use the actual label as a touch and pull back glue remover. A piece of tape might work if the label is gone.
Just keep touching the glue spots and pull away from the garment quickly. (03/04/2010)

By shirley dobie

I try it with a small drop of charcoal fuel on the area, then wash very well with warm soapy Dawn Liquid Detergent then rise very well in hot water. Then launder it in your washer. I have tried this and it works. Hope this helps.

Notice: use very little or it will take a long time to rise out the smell. (03/04/2010)

By Aldancer

How do I remove that sticky residue from a new shirt?

By johnny rollins from Poplar, MT

Answers:

Just use the label itself by touching the stickyness with the sticky side and pulling up repeatedly. Scotch tape used the same way will work. (09/22/2009)

By shirley dobie

I need to know how to remove the sticky residue on jeans from the size label?

By Betsy from New Castle, PA

Answers:

Yes, there is a product out there. You'll find it in the hardware store. It is a petroleum based product and extremely flammable. So if you smoke, be careful. "Goo Gone" is the name of the product. Use it before washing the jeans and use it sparingly. It works on any of the modern glues. (07/29/2009)

By susan cantin

Try using oil from the kitchen. It should "melt" away the stickiness. (07/29/2009)

By Olivia

We use Lighter Fluid for removing labels from books and picture frames, test in a hidden spot first but this stuff really works. (07/31/2009)

By Terry Rawlinson

I use WD-40. Works well and will not stain. (07/31/2009)

By PHYLLIS LUNDGREN