Removing Sticker Residue

It is so frustrating trying to remove sticker residue from your purchases or elsewhere around your home. This is a page about removing sticker residue.

Don't you find it annoying when you buy something and when you try to remove the label it leaves a greasy or a sticky substance on the item? Well if you don't have any goo begone, just smear a gob of peanut butter on it. Take a paper towel and rub, turning the paper towel often as it removes the sticky substance. No more sticky substance on it. It really works. I just did this on a jar, removing what was left of the price tag!

By dorothy wedenoja from New Creek, WV

Top Comment

It worked fabulously, thank you.

How many of you moms out there have spent entirely too much time trying to remove stickers that have been stuck on every surface in the entire house by your ornery toddler? Hold onto your bonnets, ladies! You ready? Use the steam from your iron to remove any type of sticky sticker off any surface!

Fill your iron chuck full of water and turn the heat and steam on High. Let it get good and hot, then hold your iron upright or over your sticker nightmare and start pressing that steam button as fast as you can. In seconds, the entire sticker can be lifted off with absolutely NO residue left on the surface.

May all of you sticker-removing mommies sleep better tonight knowing that at least one toddler mess can be cleaned up with ease.

By April from Albany, GA

Don't you just hate it when you get something new made of glass with a sticker on it. You remove the sticker, but it leaves a sticky goo like substance on it. Problem solved! Just put some rubbing alcohol, mineral oil, or nail polish remover on a cotton ball or paper towel and rub it. The residue comes right off. So easy!

You probably won't believe it (I didn't at first), but the best thing I know to remove sticky residue from labels and tags is fly spray! Yep, your everyday, garden variety fly spray. Spray some on a paper towel and rub the sticky area (it takes a little work). If it is particularly stubborn, spray it directly onto the area and leave a few seconds before working on it. You may need to do it a couple of times, but I haven't found one yet that didn't come away. This works on glass, ceramic, china, etc.

By Sue from Palm Beach, Queensland

To remove price stickers, bumper stickers, or glue residue try using Goo Gone. I have found it to be the best, fastest, and will not damage. I even used it on t-shirts and jeans after I removed a stick-on label and it left a glue residue.

Lemon essential oil removes sticky residues quickly and easily. Put 4 drops of the lemon essential oil onto a cotton ball. Hold the cotton ball onto the sticky residue for a couple seconds then rub in a circular motion until the residue is gone. I have successfully used this method for removing two sided tape from metal and also sticky residue from labels.

You know how you peel off a sticker and it leaves behind the sticky glue? I used Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer and it works great.

I put some on and spread it evenly throughout the surface then let it sit for 20-30 minutes.

Soak the jar and, after removing label, add a dab of mayonnaise. Let it set a few minutes, then rub. The glue will come off with no effort.

How do I remove the sticky glue from labels placed on containers?

By Curtis Wiethorn from Valley Mills, TX

Answers

Fingernail polish remover, any generic brand! Douse a cotton ball (or two or more - whatever it takes) and scrub, scrub, scrub the label and container.

Works almost every time on glass and most plastics. Use a tad of "Dawn" dish washing liquid detergent and a scrub pad to clean up any straggler evidence of glue or paper. Good luck. :-)

How do I take a sticker off a window?

By nancy from MI

Answers

I've had good luck with a product called Goo Gone. It sells in a small bottle, maybe 8 ounces, and can be purchased at places like WalMart and Lowes.

www.magicamerican.com/googone.aspx

W-D 40 spray it on and scrub it off. Works every time with very little effort.

I have heard using a hairdryer on the sticker will lift it right off.

Fingernail polish remover and some elbow grease.

Forgot to say a razor blade helps too.

Re-Mov silicone and adhesive remover works well with me and it also removes gum and lots of sticky messes. Lots more than goo gone or lift off. There web page is www.re-mov.com

I use SOS pads, they work great. I recycle my jars and cans and a lot of them have the glue strip on them to hold the labels and the SOS does the job

Believe it or not, good old peanut butter works. I've used it to remove many stickers, and the residue they leave.

Use a razor blade to get off as much as possible of the label or paper. Then use just a small piece of cotton, like in vitamin and Rx bottles, wear gloves and use some lighter fluid.

It's really good at getting off gum, sticky stuff, even stains in clothes, you don't know what they are. Use lighter fluid and scrub the stain with it, then pre-treat with something that cleans oily stuff. It lifts all kinds of things.

WD40 works well for me. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

I was looking at some pictures i found in my purse last night, and the one with my daughter holding my great nephew (2 months old at the time) has some sticky paper residue on it, possibly from a sticker from my Dd (5 years old). I was wondering if there is a way to remove this without ruining the picture? Thank you for all responses. I would really hate to throw this one out.

jmz2005 from illinois

Answers

By Marilyn (Guest Post)

There is a product called UN-DU that is acid free & safe for photo's and most any surface. It will remove any stickers including postage stamps. It can be purchased at Walmart or any craft store.

I bought some nice clear plastic insulated mugs at a garage sale with a price sticker on the top where you would put your mouth to drink. I soaked them in warm soapy water and the label surface came right off, but there is a film and fine residue that won't come off. What you do suggest?

I would like to know how to remove glue left on silverware, such as knife/fork from the sales tag.

By patricia from Buffalo, NY

Answers

Use some vegetable oil.

How do I remove the sticky residue left from a sticker on inside of shoe, under my heel? It is leather, so I don't know if I can use Goo Gone. When I walk, one heel sticks and makes noise every time I take a step. Very frustrating!

By Christine K.

How do you remove gummy residue left after removing price tags from satin placemats? Thanks in advance.

Yvonne from El Paso, Texas

Answers

By learning2bthrifty (Guest Post)

Next time use a hair dryer. the heat will keep the glue on the sticker. Sorry, no info for this time around... salad oil works on non-porous items.

By Kevin (Guest Post)

There are several things that work well. Test first in a hidden part. White spirit is good to remove sticky residue as is eucalyptus oil but this will also leave an oily spot. One other way is to use another sticker to help lift off the residue.

How can I remove left over label adhesive? I have washed in hot water, gently scrapped, and used rubbing alcohol. What do I do?

By Pat

This is a page about cleaning glue residue from pots and pans. Label glue is often difficult to remove.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Sticker or label adhesive can be difficult to remove. This is a page about removing sticker adhesive from fabric.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Size and price labels on clothing can leave sticky residue that can be difficult to remove. This is a page about removing sticker residue on clothing.

This is a page about removing sticker residue on leather. Keep the color and texture of your leather unchanged when cleaning sticker residue.

This is a page about removing sticky label residue on clothing. A sticker on new or old clothes can leave a residue that can be a challenge to remove.

This is a page about removing sticky residue from name tag on leather jacket. Name tags, often worn for business functions can leave sticky residue on leather jackets.

This is a page about cleaning sticky residue from a mirror. Cleaning sticky residue from a mirror can be trying.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 4, 2013
🎂
🌻
🎃