Thrifty Food Tips For 1-2 People

contest winner icon

I, like a lot of people, have lots of food leftovers, usually they go to waste. I have noted a few ideas I will share that I have found useful!

1. I no longer order pizza delivery. There is a minimum and a tip to pay, my total is usually $10-15. I found that Freschetta frozen pizza with the self rising crust is delicious! The cost is $5.00 from WalMart. I cut it into half and double wrap the other half and freeze it. I am having oven hot pizza in 15 minutes, do not have to go out or pay delivery and tip. I'm savings lots! Delicious!

2. When I buy a loaf of bread, I immediately take half a loaf and double wrap and freeze it.

3. Canned soups on sale and grilled cheese sandwiches with potato chips are yummy and very low cost dinners!

4. I invested in Lock and Lock plastic sealed containers, they save an incredible amount from keeping food fresh and not wasting foods! Purchased from QVC, they were a great investment and also make great gifts! They have a lifetime warranty. Brown sugar will last over a year easily!

5. Movie Time: matinees at the theater are less costly, also most all theaters are offering a 1 day a week deal for $1.00 popcorn or soft drink! Double bonus!

6. Share baked goods and treats with a neighbor, I always use a nice plate or bowl and always get it returned with some fruit or treat!

7. When I make tea, I use a tea ball. You can re-use the tea for double amount of cups!

8. Left over items? Almost everything can be a casserole! Add a can of soup or veggies! Voila!

9. Tacos in a bowl, my favorite! Shred lettuce, dice tomato and peppers, crunch up Doritos, add shredded cheeses and taco sauce, instant filling meal!

10. I freeze: sticks of butter, cheese, green peppers diced up and put into small sandwich bags, diced tomatoes and small leftover portions of meats! This way you will have the portion you will use and not waste!

By Missy MM from Ohio

Good ideas ;-)

Never thought to freeze 1/2 loaf of bread...brillant! Thanks

I freeze bread all the time, but never thought to freeze butter. Thanks!

Wonderful tips! I suddenly find myself cooking for one, and I make so many bad choices for groceries I'm buying. Thanks so much for these ideas. Is there a single person website? I appreciate all the budget tips!

Thanks everyone! Also, since I am a Pizza fan, I will also share this tip, if you didn't already know, you can reheat a slice or 2 of pizza in a skillet on top of the stove quickly! Tastes Delicious! Reheating in the oven is hardly worth it for 1-2 slices & the microwave makes for gooey crust! Always check the dates on canned & boxed goods for long shelf life!

So many of your ideas I use and totally agree! I too am more often than not cooking for one, or having leftovers on the nights my husband is home. Freschetta pizzas are fantastic and cooks up even better than delivery pizza.

And Lock 'n Lock storage has saved me tons of money since I started using them. I've had my brown sugar in it for 6 months now and it's still like new. Same with white sugar, flour, chips, coffee, tea, stuffing mix, cereals, bread crumbs. Cat food too. I'd put the dog food in them but they don't have one big enough.

I use your bread tip too. My husband is only home 1-3 days at a time, then gone for 3 weeks. He likes breads that I don't particularly care for so I freeze what's left of his loaf.

I also buy extra butter and other things and freeze till needed. Not only do I not run out but it's cheaper to buy it in bulk.

Glad to see someone else thinks similar to me in the kitchen!

Love these food tips. Thanks for sharing.

I posted already but....

Go to your local store that has spices in bulk.

You never will need a who bottle of xyz in 2-3 weeks, so why buy that much? Our son walked into Winco got 8 kinds of spices and walked out paying about .75 cents.

I noticed you said you freeze peppers. I have tried slicing peppers and onions and freezing in a small plastic bag but when I go to use them, they are mushy. What am I doing wrong?

Re Ciscos mom: chop your onions and peppers and freeze them that way, they won't mush, for some reason slices do.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cheap MealsJanuary 15, 2010
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Pet Food in Bowl
Buying Pet Food